Quickest way to manually change file name using description?

General talk about ARGUS TV
fishsticks

Quickest way to manually change file name using description?

Post by fishsticks » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:49 am

I have several schedules which have over time recorded many duplicates. For example, a folder may have 500 recordings covering 200 unique episodes of a TV show, with the remaining 300 being redundant copies. Unfortunately, the broadcaster airs these in no particular order so it could be episode 17 from season 3 follows episode 6 from season 5 for example. I would like to do a clean up by renaming the files to show season-episode number so I can order and delete duplicates.

The information I need to determine season-episode is in the description. Unfortunately, Argus Scheduler does not allow renaming, in fact it doesn't show the actual file name anyway (if I change it and import back Argus will rename which is why I will move the files out of Argus folder when done)

Switching between Argus and Windows explorer for this is very slow/difficult.

Is there a tool or way in Windows that would allow me to see the description and quickly change the file names? I'm running very low on disk space and need to do something in the next 24 hours.

rudig

Re: Quickest way to manually change file name using descript

Post by rudig » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:07 am

If this is the fastest I don't know.
But with the commands described here:

http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php? ... _Processor

You should be able to extract the description of all your files into a seperate text file.
Than you'd need to scan these text files on the episode info and determine if you should delete the file.

Quicker and easier way I don't know

fishsticks

Re: Quickest way to manually change file name using descript

Post by fishsticks » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

This may be the next best thing if there really isn't a tool which shows the description of the file and allows editing of the file name.

Extracting descriptions with this command line tool, the best minimum desired would be to generate a txt file for each recording with the txt file name being identical to the ts recoding name. One big database-like XML file won't be useful, like using Scheduler's recorded programs list, because it is too difficult to match against the right file and keep track of changes/deleted.

Alternatively/additionally, have as much of the description directly overwrite the recording's filename which in most cases would mean not having to open a txt file to read the full description since enough info is provided to determine episode details. This might not be worth the effort and likely problems due to characters in description not allowed in file names, etc.

What command/steps would achieve the basic extraction of description into 1 file for each recording?

Edit: I've just seen and now posted a link to this post on the batch tool thread.