Possible issue with Categories

General talk about ARGUS TV
wayloncovil

Post by wayloncovil » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:54 am

I was playing around with the Suggestions feature today so I could see upcoming suggestions.
I added the category "Children" and several shows showed up. See attached screenshot called Category 1. (You may have to scroll down in the screenshot window to see the whole screenshot.)
I would have expected that all of the shows that had Children as one of it's categories would have been populated.
I found that if I wanted to see additional shows, I had to add each category with the word "Children" in it.
For example, I would have to add Children,Action to see all these shows.
See screenshots Category 2 and Category 3.
I think something isn't quite right.
I would expect to add the Children category and every show that has Children as one of the categories would be added to the suggestions.
Could it be that my guide importer (using Json with Schedules Direct) is recognizing each show's category as a unique instance rather than parsing each category at the comma?
So, what do you think the problem is?
Attachments
Category1.jpg
Category 1
Category1.jpg (166.56 KiB) Viewed 11642 times
Category2.jpg
Category 2
Category2.jpg (192.98 KiB) Viewed 11642 times
Category3.jpg
Category 3
Category3.jpg (234.4 KiB) Viewed 11642 times

Christoph21x

Re: Possible issue with Categories

Post by Christoph21x » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:32 am

Hi Wayloncovil

Argus uses only one of the categories, if more than one is supplied - the last one (order of xmltv file).
If you look in the xmltv source that is generated by your grabber, you can check this. And - depending of the source of your information - some provider use a kind of hierarchical approach naming them, e.g.:
- Family
- Children
- Childrens Adventure
Or
- Documentation
- Historical Documentation
In these examples you would always see the ¨most particular¨ categories which isn´t very helpful when working with categories. I prefer being able to select the most general category.
There´s a tool I wrote, ¨SwapCategory¨, that simply reverses the order within a given xmltv file. This works perfect for me - see http://21x.eu
This is automatically run after the nightly grabbing (called by the grabbers cmd file) in my setup - and before the resulting file is moved to Argus´ xmltv directory.
It´s a stand-alone exe file that needs no installtion. It´s tuned for performance (25000 programs are performed in roughly 1 sec). If you start it without arguments, you get the interactive mode and you can make each step individually and are able to make a short analysis about categories. Running with arguments, it´s fully automated.

Maybe this could be a way to go for you, too?

Kind greetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

wayloncovil

Post by wayloncovil » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:08 am

Christoph21x,

Thanks for your reply.

Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly...
Are you saying that Argus TV won't allow a TV show to have multiple categories?

It sounds like your tool will extract the first category (or last category) from the multiple list of categories that I'm seeing, correct? So if a show has Children,Adventure it will remove the ,Adventure, correct?

It sounds like there's some setup to get the tool to work.

If my guide has already been imported into Argus TV, will it be effective?

Thank you for all your work on this, by the way.

It sounds like an enhancement request for Argus TV to accommodate multiple categories per show would be the right answer.

wayloncovil

Post by wayloncovil » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:28 am

I had another thought about how this issue could be addressed in Argus.
Currently, when creating a schedule, it's searching for a category that is an exact match.
The application could use "contains" as a criteria option. That way, I could use contains Children and any of the programs that have Children in the category would show up in my suggestions.

AlonzosPr

Post by AlonzosPr » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:56 am

I know this is old, but Im having this same issue. Could you please share If you have found a solution? Thanks a lot

___

XRumer 12.0.16 + SocPlugin: the BEST software for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!