Argus Status - Dead/Alive/Still Parked?

General talk about ARGUS TV
rudig

Re: Argus Status - Dead/Alive/Still Parked?

Post by rudig » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:24 pm

If he is working again on Argus that would be great!!

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Argus was the most stable recorder about 4 years ago when I migrated- I had tested everything. It still does the job but will eventually come to a point when hard decisions have to be made when certain features or compatibility can no longer be compromised. It is most likely I would move to a Linux based solution if Argus isn't updated in future and it becomes an issue.

Infidelus

Post by Infidelus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:46 am

Benoire wrote:So from what I can tell, Dot-I is still updating parts of the code, I've seen commits to the repository (not the MP code, but the actual server) with the latest being in November 2016. Looks to be only minor changes, e.g. SQL database work and a little refactoring. He may be finding time to start some updates as it has been two years since the last commits when he released the rest API updates, and now 4 commits in Nov.

Hopefully he can start to put some more time in to his software he does for free.
As far as I can see, Dot-I has only updated the client code to update it to .NET 4.6.1 (and other version updates for the software he uses). There's nothing at all to show he's updated any server code since 2014 or done anything more to open source the code or make it cross platform.

I don't want to sound negative as I'd love Argus TV get a proper update, but from what I can see on Github, it's just a minimal update that does nothing to either fix bugs or bring Argus TV closer to a proper open source solution.

Benoire

Post by Benoire » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:14 am

I've got access to the full server code which Dot-I allowed me to have after I signed his NDA. I can see updates that are not dot.net work but nothing since end of Nov. I was trying to implement the code from MP for native Sky including LCN ordering etc. but the EPG code was so ingrained in to the Argus TV engine that it would require a complete re-write of how EPG grabbing worked and was way beyond my skills.

I would love to share the code but I would be in breach of the NDA and would rather not betray the trust of Dot-I.

michael123

Post by michael123 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Benoire wrote:I've got access to the full server code which Dot-I allowed me to have after I signed his NDA. I can see updates that are not dot.net work but nothing since end of Nov. I was trying to implement the code from MP for native Sky including LCN ordering etc. but the EPG code was so ingrained in to the Argus TV engine that it would require a complete re-write of how EPG grabbing worked and was way beyond my skills.

I would love to share the code but I would be in breach of the NDA and would rather not betray the trust of Dot-I.
As you had contact to dot-i might it be possible to ask him again for the permission to publish the code or to integrate bugfixes?