Argus TV and CPU performance

General talk about ARGUS TV
BartZorn

Argus TV and CPU performance

Post by BartZorn » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Hello all,

I have been strubbeling with my HTPC setup for two and a half years now.
I started with the configuration described in my signature, but not with Argus, but with DVBlink. This never worked completely satisfactorily. Video quality was poor, and time shifting was completely unusable. Both on the DVBlogic and Kodi fora, nobody could tell me what the problem could be.

At some point, I decided to try Argus TV. It worked definitely better than DVBlink, but still not good.

Finally I decided that I could have a CPU speed problem. I never saw a high CPU load on the system, so that was not something that came up first.

I moved the tuner hardware (temporarily) over to my home server, which has a core i5 CPU. This was a huge improvement!
Of course this is not ideal, because now I am using two PC's just to watch TV. But it works!

Now I am considering upgrading my HTPC, but currently have no budget.

But the message is: if you have all sorts of problems, it could be that your CPU is not powerful enough!

Regards,

Bart
AsRock Q2900-ITX with Intel J2900 quad core processor, 8GB memory
Digital Devices Cine S2 V7 with CI module
Windows 10 Pro x64
Kodi 17.4

Hominidae

Re: Argus TV and CPU performance

Post by Hominidae » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:29 pm

...I've been there myself, but I doubt the cause is AGUS TV...my bet is it's windows.

I had ARGUS TV on a C847 celeron, running for years without an issue....on Win7 Home (mind you with 8GB of RAM).
The the free upgrade to Win10 came....and performance was so bad, I switched to new Pentium 2 core setup (new CPU and mobo, same RAM and DIsks).

BartZorn

Post by BartZorn » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Hominidae wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:29 pm
...I've been there myself, but I doubt the cause is AGUS TV...my bet is it's windows.

I had ARGUS TV on a C847 celeron, running for years without an issue....on Win7 Home (mind you with 8GB of RAM).
The the free upgrade to Win10 came....and performance was so bad, I switched to new Pentium 2 core setup (new CPU and mobo, same RAM and DIsks).
Well, I started with Windows 7 also, but the problems were there from the beginning. The upgrade to Windows 10 seemed even an improvement then, but the main problems (pixelation, hangs and disfunctional time shifting) remained.

So, no, I don't think that the Windows version is of much influence.

Bart
AsRock Q2900-ITX with Intel J2900 quad core processor, 8GB memory
Digital Devices Cine S2 V7 with CI module
Windows 10 Pro x64
Kodi 17.4

Hominidae

Post by Hominidae » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:15 pm

...for me windows 10 was clearly the issue.
After the upgrade the box would not even boot within 5 mins.
A fresh install improved things a bit, but even without ARGUS, DVB-S2 card and drivers installed, the box was still a nightmare.