Stream from the web interface

Post your great ideas and suggestions here
SKL111

Re: Stream from the web interface

Post by SKL111 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:05 am

Not to try to advertise, but have you looked at the way SageTV. They do similar stuff and it might be beneficial to take a look incase you can not have to re-invent the wheel in some areas.

x-cimo

Post by x-cimo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:59 am

FYI, I am still working on this in my spare time.

I had an issue with FFMPEG on windows, it has problem with RTSP stream over UDP. Since I am hoping to use RTSP instead of the timeshifted buffer this was an issue. (Mostly because I want to have this running in a DMZ with no SMB)

I am now using VLC and it's working properly.

I need to do a bit of code cleanup, put the configuration in a separate file and should be good to go.

I am only dealing with LiveTV right now, I will work on recording soon.

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:59 am

Very cool :)
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

jonaskp

Post by jonaskp » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:53 am

I am also very interested in this.
Do you have some sort of test build or is it still to early for that?
I would be happy to help test things.

x-cimo

Post by x-cimo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:53 am

I have been doing a lot of overtime lately. Hopefully things will come back to normal shortly so I can finish this project.

erto

Post by erto » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:11 pm

Hello all,

just my 50 cent on this topic:
I'd like to have a more flexible streaming setup.
Although RTSP is imho by fare the most sophisticated protocol, with most options and control, it is quite hard to implement it in multiple clients.

For instance, I'm trying to have a Plex plugin with streaming live TV, but this is not possible with RTSP.

Specific requests:
When starting a live stream (via TuneLiveStream), we should have more options (by passing on for instance the container format and the protocol, and maybe codecs). I think switching from one container format to another (from TS to MKV, or to MP4, to MOV, to AVI, ...) is not that heavy on the CPU. Also providing the stream in another protocol (RTMP, HLS, MMS, ...) should not be to heavy on the CPU. The only really heavy stuff for the CPU seems to be the actual transcoding from one video or audio codec to another, but this is often not the first consideration.

When starting a live stream, I would like to get rid of the timeshift files. For regular live TV, this seems not required (maybe a requirement for live555?). It seems only usefull to keep a timeshift when actually timeshifting (pausing live tv, ...). The reason for asking this: keeping the timeshift files could be heavy on the wear of an SSD. If you keep it on a HDD, it produces noise, it can choke when other processes run on the same disk, ... For that reason, I've put in in RAM via a ramdisk, but if you start up multiple streams, the ramdisk is becoming too small.

It would also be nice if, even if most of the source is kept closed source, that we could plug in code at certain places, for instance via Ironpython.

Last request: it would be convenient if the server could take care of the 'keep alive' of the stream, and stopping it automatically if there are no more clients. Embedding this in the client adds complexity. I'm not sure if this is possible.

Am I too late for Santa Claus?

ludovicf

Post by ludovicf » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:09 am

Hello x-cimo, have you had the chance to complete your project? Would you mind sharing what you've done so far? I'd like to watch the superbowl remotely in two weeks :D Thanks!
x-cimo wrote:FYI, I am still working on this in my spare time.

I had an issue with FFMPEG on windows, it has problem with RTSP stream over UDP. Since I am hoping to use RTSP instead of the timeshifted buffer this was an issue. (Mostly because I want to have this running in a DMZ with no SMB)

I am now using VLC and it's working properly.

I need to do a bit of code cleanup, put the configuration in a separate file and should be good to go.

I am only dealing with LiveTV right now, I will work on recording soon.

Notfast

Post by Notfast » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:03 pm

why not use Media Browser 3? We could all have the joy of using Argus.

Media Browser 3 has client/app for Windows and Windows MCE, Android (incl. Chromecast support), IOS a Roku.
with Media Browser 3 and Argus TV we would have the best combo. hands down!
Media Browser 3 can also transcode if your device does not support your media or if you are away from home.

hanandyn

Post by hanandyn » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi x-cimo, any update on the project?
even a beta release would be great :)

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi x-cimo

Maybe you´d like to take a look at RemotePotato, too? It was originally made for WMC, but is able to stream ts files as well - I used it for years over WAN. It´s using Silverlight, which is also available for Apple & Google clients.
Had gone open source 2 years ago.
Positive:
- transcoding on the fly
- to a selectable resolution on client side
Maybe this gives you an idea: search on Github for RemotePotato.

What we have to consider is, taht dot-i currently turns Argus OS-independent; that´ll make it more complex as new components should be OS-independent, too, I guess.
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)