Genre, CRID from OTA EPG?

Post your great ideas and suggestions here
fishsticks

Genre, CRID from OTA EPG?

Post by fishsticks » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:27 am

Does Argus disregard metadata from the EPG (EIT) stream such as genre/category and CRID? These don't appear in Scheduler, they are certainly broadcast here in the UK. Is there a way to make them (especially the genre) appear or are they not being pulled to begin with? If Argus doesn't use the CRID, how exactly are programs identified so as to avoid redundant re-recording?

The genre does display in Scheduler, etc. if I pull EPG from elsewhere (ie with XMLTV from sources like Radio Times) but pulling the guide over the web isn't ideal for my scenario.

quartermain

Re: Genre, CRID from OTA EPG?

Post by quartermain » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:20 pm

I'd be interested to know this too. The only recorder that I know of that uses CRID data is TVHeadend and that project looks like it might be fading away.

elsmandino

Post by elsmandino » Wed May 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Does DJ Blu's modified version of Mediaportal Server not use CRID for its added series link option?

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Sun May 25, 2014 6:01 pm

I notice program/episode details are stored under the "History" button in a schedule, not sure whether this is CRID or some Argus specific tag.

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:49 pm

The episode data under History doesn't match the CRID info I have on another device, it may be some proprietary tag. Argus doesn't seem to use CRID in the traditional sense to identify episodes, I've had no joy at all with the various options- First Runs Only does nothing (considers all valid), "Record only once" is hit and miss. Only "unique titles" works each time but that isn't really an option to manage episodes.

Caesium

Post by Caesium » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:16 pm

fishsticks wrote:The episode data under History doesn't match the CRID info I have on another device, it may be some proprietary tag. Argus doesn't seem to use CRID in the traditional sense to identify episodes, I've had no joy at all with the various options- First Runs Only does nothing (considers all valid), "Record only once" is hit and miss. Only "unique titles" works each time but that isn't really an option to manage episodes.
No, Argus doesn't use the CRID data, I think the history hex string is a hash of the program description or something. This is also why 'Record only once' is hit and miss, if the broadcaster changes the description then Argus will re-record it.

This is becoming rather seriously overdue in my humble opinion and once 2.3 is out of the door I'd really like to see CRID abilities added :)

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:19 am

Without CRID, how are people managing avoiding re-recording episodes? Maybe I'm missing a trick somewhere, but it seems like it comes down to narrowing by time/day and possibly by keyword like 'new' in description, both of which are risky.

I'm coming to HTPC/Argus from a dedicated DVR solution. My dual tuner DVR could only record 1 program per tuner (not stream), but with CRID it would intelligently schedule. I'd get 2 conflicts at most a week and no redundant recordings.

Now I've got a quad tuner HTPC and can record several programs on same stream, I can basically record the 10 or so channels I ever watch all at the same time. Without CRID, Argus is recording (and rerecording) 50 episodes of a show including repeats and reruns while I really just want the 1 new for the week. I can focus the schedule on a particular day/time, having a free tuner isn't an issue, it's more about wasted energy/disk space and file clutter.

I really don't like to find recordings have been missed, I'd rather record more then necessary but my current setup is seriously overkill. I chose Argus because it was, by a long distance, the most reliable PC solution- I tried most. Having to limit by something like day/time is , in my opinion, going back to days of programming a VCR.

Am I missing something?

Caesium

Post by Caesium » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:41 am

fishsticks wrote:Without CRID, how are people managing avoiding re-recording episodes? Maybe I'm missing a trick somewhere, but it seems like it comes down to narrowing by time/day and possibly by keyword like 'new' in description, both of which are risky.
I'm not managing to avoid it, not at all. My recordings directory is full of repeats that I've already watched but I have to leave a schedule up in case they ever renew the series (ie Benidorm - ITV are always showing repeats but if they make a new series I'll definitely want that..)

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:34 am

Can a mod please move this to the Improvement Suggestions? I thought it was just me missing something, but it does seem the series management functionality could do with improvement.

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:32 am

fishsticks wrote:Can a mod please move this to the Improvement Suggestions? I thought it was just me missing something, but it does seem the series management functionality could do with improvement.
Good point, thanks for the hint. Done.
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)