Optimization of Scheduler Planning

Post your great ideas and suggestions here
Christoph21x

Optimization of Scheduler Planning

Post by Christoph21x » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi All

I wouldn't actually call it a bug - not at all. But there is obviously improvement potential on conflict avoiding ind the scheduler plans:
Screenshot 1: Upcomings with "Caprica" set to low priority: conflict
Screenshot 2: Upcomings with "Caprica" set to high priority: NO conflict

This was reported already earlier, now there's a visible case - any (which?) information needed to check this in deep?

Greetz - Chris
Attachments
Screenshot1.jpg
Series "Caprica" was set to "low priority"
Screenshot1.jpg (120.45 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
Screenshot2.jpg
Series "Caprica" was switched to "high priority" (only)
Screenshot2.jpg (122.77 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

Infidelus

Re: Optimization of Scheduler Planning

Post by Infidelus » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:53 pm

I posted something similar here last year. It's easy to 'work around', although you shouldn't really need to ;)

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:21 am

Infidelus wrote:I posted something similar here last year. It's easy to 'work around', although you shouldn't really need to ;)
Hi Infidelus, in fact, I know that there are several reports about this - but actually where do you see your mentioned solution?
Maybe the other way round would ameliorate the algorithm:
- first allocate with same priority
- chose priority only in case of conflict.

As an optimization many times produces ¨local optimum¨ only, that would at least be a two step-approach.

But, as I said, I think, the optimization method of Argus is absolutely great and I can absolutely live with it.
Any student out there who wants to do some work there? In fact, today, the source code is available, which wasn´t earlier... :D

Greetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

Infidelus

Post by Infidelus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:57 am

Christoph21x wrote: Hi Infidelus, in fact, I know that there are several reports about this - but actually where do you see your mentioned solution?
Sorry, the workaround was simply to change up the priority of one of the shows that was showing the conflict. The downside is that you have to notice that there's a conflict and intervene manually. Not ideal, but as there are multiple people at home using Argus TV, I do tend to check regularly to make sure there are no conflicts. As I said, ideally it shouldn't be necessary, but as I know the 'feature' exists, I plan ahead for it :)

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:00 am

... or, a maybe even better method could be:
- ignore schedule priority and allocate all chans on same multiplex stream (order: number of chans on stream - but with respect to set CAM limits)
- then all other schedules
(Those two steps assure a maximum of chans)
- Then, only in case of conflict, de-allocate low and allocate higher priority