Always deleting parent folder when recording without folders

Full administration access to your ARGUS TV system
fishsticks

Always deleting parent folder when recording without folders

Post by fishsticks » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:19 pm

Hello,

I've been using Argus for about a week now, having tried a few other options/combinations, I've found this to be the best from stability/reliability with 1 possible bug unless I'm missing a trick...

I'm running a single seat machine on Argus 2.2 with MP 1.5 as front-end. The behavior/issue is the same with or without MP, as it originates from Argus.

As you know, the default recording format in Scheduler is to put videos in folders ("title\...") with metadata file (.arg) populated separately. I'm running on a single seat machine with NTFS so there is no need/benefit of a separate .arg file. (or is there?)

If/when I change the format so files are recorded directly as a single file (no "\" in the format) immediately under my recording folder (Public/Videos/Argus TV), this works until the last existing file is deleted. When the last file is deleted, it deletes the recording folder (Public/Videos/Argus TV)- without which, unless/until it is manually created, no more recordings can occur.

Is there a benefit I'm missing in having the default folder for each recording? It just seemed unnecessary to me.

andrewNZ

Re: Always deleting parent folder when recording without fol

Post by andrewNZ » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:05 am

fishsticks wrote:Is there a benefit I'm missing in having the default folder for each recording? It just seemed unnecessary to me.
I guess not deleting the recording folder is a benefit... :P

Seriously though, the behaviour you're seeing certainly isn't ideal.

One benefit of using folders, is the potential shortening of the actual file names. Once a filename hits 255 characters you'll start having trouble.
255 sounds like a lot but characters add up fast once you add the channel, episode details, date, time and any other rubbish the network adds to the EPG.

If I put the title twice (as you appear to be) I can get Borat to 200 without trying

What I would also say is, I don't think it was ever intended that the recording folder be browsed by the user, that's what front end clients are for.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:47 am

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to play around to get it to work. The folder structure is cumbersome for my use.

Not urgent, having more serious (stability) issues that need addressing first.

raki

Post by raki » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:26 pm

I've got this problem, too. I record in subfolders so I can copy the movies directly to my XBMC database folders (where all movies are stored in seperate folders).

A few months ago I had to make a program which listens to filesystem-events, it's in c#. I could give you the source code, maybe you could implement this feature. When a recording is deleted and the event thrown you could check if there are any movies left in the folder (with wildcard *.avi *.ts and so on) and if not, just delete the folder.

Since I wanted to check out the source code of argus either way, I might give it a try myself.

arnie580

Post by arnie580 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:11 am

I had this issue. Placing any file in the folder prevents the folder being deleted. I have an empty txt file in my recording folder and it no longer deletes the folder.