Recorded TV (+ TV Guide) empty on first 2 attempts at access

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using MediaPortal (http://www.team-mediaportal.com/)
c128

Re: Recorded TV (+ TV Guide) empty on first 2 attempts at ac

Post by c128 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:14 pm

Just upgraded to Mediaportal 1.4, using the public beta patch zip for the Argus TV client plugin.
I thought all was well.

However, Mediaportal 1.4 seems to have done away with the restart on resume option, so that workaround for the issue in this thread is no longer valid... I'm back to long waits on an empty screen when trying to access the Recorded TV list.

c128

Post by c128 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:51 am

Is no one else suffering from this with Mediaportal 1.4 and Argus?

I'm not sure why the "restart Mediaportal on resume" functionality was removed from Mediaportal 1.4, but it had become my standard workaround for not being able to access the Argus EPG or Recorded TV after wake. I've tried the remaining options that delay the start of Mediaportal by a configurable amount of seconds, but they don't seem to have any effect at all - at the moment I'm having to restart Mediaportal manually on wake in order to get it reliably working with Argus. It looks like some folk have had joy setting up a task that's triggered on wake to run the restart.vbs script, that still sits within Mediaportal, but it doesn't seem to work for me on Windows 8:

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threa ... 308/page-3

In the end...I guess the restarting option was only really a workaround for what's a Mediaportal / Argus TV bug or on oddity on specific systems. I think glenn had an inkling as to why this was happening as he suggested the restart workaround originally.

If this isn't so niche that it's only impacting a small number of people, is there anything I can do to help look into it?

c128

Post by c128 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Is there anyone currently maintaining the Mediaportal plugin that can shed some light on this and/or give some pointers so I can look into it myself?

I'm getting very little traction on the Mediaportal side in terms of suggesting that "Restart on resume" is resurrected. There seems, to me, no technical reason for it to not return, but the attitude seems to be that it will not return as the reason it was originally introduced has now been fixed (despite the fact that people quite successfully used it for other reasons :( ):

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threa ... st-1015576

cala

Post by cala » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:01 am

c128 wrote:Is there anyone currently maintaining the Mediaportal plugin that can shed some light on this and/or give some pointers so I can look into it myself?
I can't comment on changes to Mediaportal, however you can work around the failure of your scheduled task by wrapping the 'restart.vbs' script in a '.bat' file.
Create a new file (restartMediaPortal.bat) with notepad or similar, and in it place the text:

Code: Select all

cd <Directory in which the restart.vbs script resides>
.\restart.vbs
You can then modify the scheduled task to run your new 'restartMediaPortal.bat' file instead of the 'restart.vbs' script.

c128

Post by c128 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Hadn't thought of that. However, it still doesn't run:

Code: Select all

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler/Operational
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler
Date:          13/08/2013 6:50:56 PM
Event ID:      203
Task Category: Action failed to start
Level:         Error
Keywords:      
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      htpc
Description:
Task Scheduler failed to launch action "C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe" in instance "{a4db889c-f9a1-4358-a95f-0375a32072c9}" of task "\Restart Mediaportal". Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942667.
Fails when running the batch file directly or, as above, running it via cmd.exe.

To me, it seems like some oddity with Windows 8 and permissions, but I don't know what...

cala

Post by cala » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:34 pm

It does seem odd. I was also unable to execute the restart.vbs directly and calling it via a bat file fixed it for me (Windows 8 64 bit).

Maybe a long shot, but if you have the path to the executable quoted in your task definition you could try removing the quotes as per:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1361 ... 2147942667

c128

Post by c128 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Hurrah! Finally having it working - workaround returned.

Using a batch file wrapper actually worked, but it turned out the remaining issue was a having a "Start in" entry (unnecessarily now, seeing as the batch file changes directory) in the task definition for the location of restart.vbs that was...quoted! Quite bizarre that the main call to the batch file needs to be quoted for the spaces in the install whilst the other entries don't but, there you go.