XBMC PVR addon

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
codex

Re: XBMC PVR addon

Post by codex » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Has anyone got the addon to work on an ipad? It works fine for me on my windows clients, but trying to run on an ipad client I get the following error:

AddOnLog: ARGUS TV client: FileReader::OpenFile(), open file smb://Guest@network_drive/media/Videos/For The Record Timeshift/Card1-1-0.ts.tsbuffer failed

be interested to know whether anyone can get their ipad client to work, or whether it's a specific setting for me that's the problem

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:05 pm

Did you configure your share correctly?

Did you set the Windows userid and password correctly at the addon configuration screen?

Then it should work.

The message from the log you copied, shows that it is trying to access "\\network_drive\media\Videos\For The Record Timeshift\Card1-1-0.ts.tsbuffer" with Windows account (user) "Guest" and no password.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!

codex

Post by codex » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:32 pm

The share is open access on my network. I tried deleting the username, just in case that was it, but it still seems to put guest username in.

codex

Post by codex » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Actually, reading my post back I haven't been entirely clear. The add on works and connects to the pvr server, it's only playback that's an issue. It won't play back any of the recordings, or the timeshift buffer, which all work fine with the windows clients. Will try and have a play with the windows and ipad version and see if I can see any difference between the two.

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Yes, that is by design, you need to enter a valid Windows Account. When empty it will always default to 'Guest'.

And by 'open access on my network', you mean that the 'Everyone' group has read access (or better) to it? Then still you need a valid user-id (or enable the Guest account) to make sure NTLM authentication and access control will succeed for the iOS Samba client.

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:48 pm

And yes, the addon will flawlessly work with the PVR server for everything since communication with the server is using HTTP requests to the REST api of ARGUS TV.

Only when playing video you will need access rights to the shares.

codex

Post by codex » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks, me being stupid again. I've tried setting up a user, no difference, and the network share is set to accept guest users. It's a readynas drive where all the stuff is stored, so not sure whether that's doing something it shouldn't to refuse the access. Will play more later, but it's not looking hopeful at the moment.

codex

Post by codex » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Just a quick note, been playing with the windows client and the ipad client. Doesn't seem to make any difference on the windows client what I put as username and password, it always works (I suspect as that smb folder has open access to anyone on the network). Whatever username and password I put on the ipad, it doesn't work. Maybe it's something to do with smb on the ipad, although all the networked movies stored on that drive play fine. Will keep looking into it, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:56 pm

codex wrote:Just a quick note, been playing with the windows client and the ipad client. Doesn't seem to make any difference on the windows client what I put as username and password, it always works (I suspect as that smb folder has open access to anyone on the network). Whatever username and password I put on the ipad, it doesn't work. Maybe it's something to do with smb on the ipad, although all the networked movies stored on that drive play fine. Will keep looking into it, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know.
On the Windows client these settings are ignored because they are irrelevant. Since you're on Windows you will already have an authentication token for your logged on user. Therefore the Windows file system will use that token to access the UNC pathnames.

I know this all is a bit of a PITA, but sadly authentication/authorisation shares is a bit of mess when not using Windows. Although I found it to be a lot easier on Linux then OS X/iOS. Surprisingly once you you get your configuration up and running with OS X/iOS, you'll find that Android, Pi, and Linux will work without any troubles (provided you configure the same username/password on the addon configuration screen ;)).

I went to my old trusty QNAP TS219-II Pro NAS that I have been using for years now with FTR/ARGIS TV to see what settings I used. It turns out that after much experimentation I ended up with userid 'Fred', password required (some easy dummy password like 'argustv') and RW access for that user. My ATV1 running Crystalbuntu has this userid and password configured. It is used daily by Wife and Kids, so I know very, very, very sure that it is working flawless, or I would have received many complaints :P.

I can only test iPad's briefly every now and then when someone kindly lets me use one over a weekend. But it worked on the last attempts, and the addon has been very stable since the release of Frodo (as in "unchanged").

My advice would be: create a user on the NAS with a simple password, give it RW rights on your share, configure this user on the addon configuration screen on the iPad.

I hope you get it working soon,
Fred

codex

Post by codex » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks again Fred for getting back to me. I'll have another look, I did set up a simple user with simple password, but didn't make any difference. I presume that the readynas would allow them access, it's not entirely simple to see how the permissions work on the readynas. Will carry on playing and post if I find a solution.