Channel starting sometimes fails with "no buffer file"

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
Red_F

Re: Channel starting sometimes fails with "no buffer file"

Post by Red_F » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Hominidae wrote:...jup, my other linux boxes see the ARGUSTV shares "open" for rw.
I'd guess it is a XBMC problem, not only related to windoze, when openlec is havin/showingg that prob too.

Edit: ...and since recordings are playing fine, i'd guess it is not related to the way pathnames are build/handled.
Actually there is a difference, the recordings are passed as share/filenames to the XBMC DVD player. Live-TV is processed by the addon via the XBMC file I/O helper API. That API was changed on Gotham and no longer accepts the 'standard' Windows style share names.

What hardware are you all using OpenElec on? Pi? PC?
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!

Hominidae

Post by Hominidae » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:29 pm

Red_F wrote: Actually there is a difference, the recordings are passed as share/filenames to the XBMC DVD player. Live-TV is processed by the addon via the XBMC file I/O helper API. That API was changed on Gotham and no longer accepts the 'standard' Windows style share names.
Hmmm..ok...what XBMC version is inside openlec 3.06 then?
What hardware are you all using OpenElec on? Pi? PC?
...using a PC (i-G620, 4GB, nv-GT520, pulseeight CEC adapter and a 8GB S-ATA DOM. (ARGUSTV is running on a small C847 board with a quad-tuner from digital devices)

Hominidae

Post by Hominidae » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Hominidae wrote:...jup, my other linux boxes see the ARGUSTV shares "open" for rw.
I'd guess it is a XBMC problem, not only related to windoze, when openlec is havin/showingg that prob too.

Edit: ...and since recordings are playing fine, i'd guess it is not related to the way pathnames are build/handled.
...OK, I messed this up myself :oops:
Credentials for the live-TV share were different from that of the recordings
The other PC I checked the shares with had the credentials for the live-TV already stored in a keystore and connected "silently",
giving the impression that this was shared as open to everyone.

...so, nevermind...problem solved by the helpdesk from hell.

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Hominidae wrote:...so, nevermind...problem solved by the helpdesk from hell.
:D

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi all,

I am currently experiencing exactly this problem with OpenElec / Argus and mediaportal.

I'm getting a message that starts "timeout while waiting...." ("...." because i can't read the rest fast enough!).
Then i get "No buffer file".

I've read through the thread but I'm not 100% sure which fix to use (if any). Can somebody point me to a compiled version of the Argus addon with the best fix in it? I've tried loaded one of the fixes in the thread but no joy. But I'm not 100% i really did load it.

On that last point, can you also clarify the correct way to apply the fix given Argus is part of the standard XBMC set of AddOns. Can i just install from a zip over the top?

Thanks!

JUST ADDING SOME INFO.
XBMC 12.2 (Not sure what version of Openelec that is).
It's running on a ZBOX
Mediaportal used for Sat channels with a STB and a Hauppauge HD PVR. All other tuners (DVB-T and DVB-S) are managed by Argus and working fine.

UPDATE 2: Just tried Mediaportal direct to XBMC (so the STB channels only) and it all worked perfectly.

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Managed to get the fix and applied it. Problem solved.

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Ok, spoke a little bit too soon.

I've put the 64bit version on my ZBOX and that works a treat.

BUT

i also have 2 RaspberryPi's and (having tried the same version and failed) i assume the Pi needs the 32bit version. However, the 32bit links on Dotnetdevelopers don't work. Is there a Pi-compatible version of the fix available? It would be really great to get them all working.

pkscout

Post by pkscout » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:29 am

I'd like to request that there be an option to turn off the display of warnings from the ArgusPVR plugin in XBMC. At this point I basically get the buffer warning every time I tune a channel using my HD-DVR. I suspect it's because it takes a few seconds for the channel to actually tune, and until it tunes no buffer file is created. So while the warning may technically be true, it's misleading because once the station is tuned, XBMC shows it fine.

Specs:
XBMC 12.3
ArgusPVR plugin 1.6.166
Windows 7

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:36 pm

pkscout wrote:I'd like to request that there be an option to turn off the display of warnings from the ArgusPVR plugin in XBMC. At this point I basically get the buffer warning every time I tune a channel using my HD-DVR. I suspect it's because it takes a few seconds for the channel to actually tune, and until it tunes no buffer file is created. So while the warning may technically be true, it's misleading because once the station is tuned, XBMC shows it fine.

Specs:
XBMC 12.3
ArgusPVR plugin 1.6.166
Windows 7
It was my understanding (based on info Dot-i supplied) that the ARGUS TV server will only return a "successfully tuned" response to the addon when tuning has completely finished. Hence there should be a buffer present.

The "Gotham" version slightly changes behaviour, and I have not yet read any "no buffer file" reports for that version (no this is not a suggestion to maken one ;)).