Full featured

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
MicF

Full featured

Post by MicF » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi,

I'm experimenting with Argus TV and am very impressed about the recording features.
Especially the granularity you can select, what to record and what not.

Will these features find a way in the XBMC frontend, so I can use them as 10foot rather than in the browser?
Is this a feature of XBMC, the addon or Argus?

Mic

Christoph21x

Re: Full featured

Post by Christoph21x » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Dear Mic,

First of all: a warm Welcome to Argus!
The granularity of Recording Plans and also Suggestion Plans is a core feature of Argus.

Of course, to support this means a huge complexity also for the XBMC PVR Client, but as I see, the Argus PVR Client supports more and more of these features.
But I'm sure, our Red_F will answer this in a more profound way.. so for now: WELCOME

In the meantim: you're using the web interface? Are you using a kind of programmable TV remote supporter software like EventGhost?
This could be customized...

Christoph
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:33 pm

MicF wrote:Hi,

I'm experimenting with Argus TV and am very impressed about the recording features.

Will these features find a way in the XBMC frontend, so I can use them as 10foot rather than in the browser?

Mic
Mic, many of the advanced features available within ARGUS TV are not seen with other PVR's. The PVR approach by Team XBMC has been to present a unified frontend suitable for most variations of PVR backends. By necessity this means that the XBMC PVR UI and functionality is limited to the lowest common denominator :cry:. And thus a lot of the 'cool' ARGUS TV flexibility is missing.

The only solution for this, is writing a Dedicated ARGUS TV Frontend Addon. Basically this means taking the current ARGUS TV addon code + all the current code for the PVR UI. From this codebase create a complete PVR frontend that only uses XBMC for low level support stuff like 'show a dialog', 'play a file', 'get user input', etc. etc.

Not impossible, but a huge undertaking. I'm not aware of anyone doing that at this moment.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!

Kay Diefenthal

Post by Kay Diefenthal » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:56 pm

MicF wrote:Hi,

Mic
are you the MicF from the Mce-community.de ?

PD

Post by PD » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 pm

MediaPortal has a lot more options with ARGUS for recording.
Ray
Paranoid Delusion
Team-MediaPortal

MicF

Post by MicF » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and the detailed explanation.
Argus is a great piece of software, please continue the excellent work.

@Red_F
I agree, that a dedicated addon just for Argus would be a too large undertaking.
But wouldn't it be an approach to use the basics from XBMC standard PVR like timeshift, recording and whatever will be implemented and have a second dedicated addon, just for the Argus special features.
Then it would be possible to schedule a series using the "standard" and if you need more granularity, you'll be able to do this with the second addon (instead of do this with the Argus web frontend)
IMHO this is how MCE works today. You can record a series by doubleclicking record, if you need to change something, like the prerecording time, you'll have to go to details and change it there.

@Kay
yes I am. ;-)
MCE is, from a user perspective, easy to use and has a reasonable set of features, which are working flawlessly.
But MCE is with Windows8 running out of maintenance.
I already switched my home cinema to XBMC, since playing movies is much more sophisticated in XBMC than in any of the MCE plugins, not to mention the codec hassle.
By now, I have no good substitute for TV and therefore no chance switching MCE to XBMC in the living room (without loosing WAF).

@PD
I had some looks to MP, too, but frankly said: It's not my kind of software. It's just a matter of taste, but I like XBMC much more. From my perspective it runs smoother and looks better, sorry.

Mic

Kay Diefenthal

Post by Kay Diefenthal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:35 pm

MicF wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome and the detailed explanation.
Argus is a great piece of software, please continue the excellent work.

@Kay
yes I am. ;-)
MCE is, from a user perspective, easy to use and has a reasonable set of features, which are working flawlessly.
But MCE is with Windows8 running out of maintenance.
I already switched my home cinema to XBMC, since playing movies is much more sophisticated in XBMC than in any of the MCE plugins, not to mention the codec hassle.
By now, I have no good substitute for TV and therefore no chance switching MCE to XBMC in the living room (without loosing WAF).

Mic
Hi Mic

sadly to hear that the mce com now has losed the next mce dev
i give not so fast up i build my mce client for argus or better i rebuild it
regards Kay

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm

@MicF well, you can schedule recordings from within XBMC, even with a limited form or repetition. But what I mostly is do a quick schedule from within XBMC when my wife discovers she forgot to ask to record something in time ;). For most of the series I just have schedules setup on ARGUS that almost never change. They just will start recording when the show appears, lie dormant during summer or winter stops and pop up again once the series continues.

It took me a little effort initially to get everything there, but I find that I now rarely add anything. Just the "quick do record this on that channel it starts in 20 minutes" (or has already started). So I'm content with what I can do from XBMC :D.

Now Frodo is getting nearer to completion, I'm looking at Windows 8 app development. Just to keep me busy I think I'll start some coding there for ARGUS TV.

I did some little ARGUS TV exercises on Android. But I think XBMC will be sufficient for me on that platform too.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!

codex

Post by codex » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Actually I tend to use the very good iPad client for the advanced argus features, planning my viewing and scheduling recordings, the more basic interface is adequate in xbmc for most stuff. My big problem is using a remote with xbmc and the PVR is far from friendly at the moment.

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:19 pm

codex wrote:Actually I tend to use the very good iPad client for the advanced argus features, planning my viewing and scheduling recordings, the more basic interface is adequate in xbmc for most stuff. My big problem is using a remote with xbmc and the PVR is far from friendly at the moment.
Remote in general is a problem or to navigate and configure PVR funct's?
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)