Problems with Radio Buffering

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
daveb500

Re: Problems with Radio Buffering

Post by daveb500 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:04 pm

ghost5 wrote:
daveb500 wrote:I've not managed to find anything but I'll take another look. I'll also look to see if there are any errors reported.
Taken from the pvr development section on the xbmc forum
try to increase the minimum buffer level in advancedsettings:
switching channels will be a bit slower, but it shouldn't stutter anymore
Edit:

<advancedsettings>
<pvr>
<minaudiocachelevel>25</minaudiocachelevel>
</pvr>
</advancedsettings>

Note I haven't tried this myself yet but I also suffer from the stuttering
@Ghost5 - can you let me know which file this is in, or provide a link to the XBMC post so that i can read it all. Thanks

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:46 pm

daveb500 wrote: @Ghost5 - can you let me know which file this is in, or provide a link to the XBMC post so that i can read it all. Thanks
http://bit.ly/WTf6Vd ;)
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:15 pm

Solved it (for me at least - can others confirm?):

From my point of view it's NOT a PVR Client issue:
1. I encountered it under Scheduler Console (if not used on the same machine as Scheduler/Core Service; on this it ran fine)
2. I encountered the same thing under all XBMC network clients

3. Solved it (again: for me - it runs like a charm now on Scheduler console as well as from withing XBMC) through (just) adjusting my QoS settings of my routers giving Argus priority. The stream has no file type, just a port; depending on your router you may prioritize IP ports, LAN ports and/or applications
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding to this, I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi (very successfully). Anyway, the Pi had similar symptoms but not quite as bad. I added the setting in advancedsettings.xml and it looks like problem solved.

EDIT: i withdraw that statement. It is still doing it. I've played with the delay value up to 200 but it doesn't fix it. It happens on my PC and on my RPi. It's odd because TV works perfectly, including SD and HD channels.

Any more ideas????

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Ok, I've created a debug XBMC log (attached) for the period. It starts at 11:39:17 and started to go wrong within about 10 seconds.

This is with:

<advancedsettings>
<pvr>
<minaudiocachelevel>40</minaudiocachelevel>
</pvr>
</advancedsettings>

Just as a test, I've also tried forcing it to use different tuner cards including DVB-T and DVB-S but it makes no difference.
Attachments
log-2013-01-10-11.44.01.zip
(43.66 KiB) Downloaded 475 times

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Bump - anybody got any idea? I assume this is the right forum rather than XBMC?

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Christoph21x wrote:Solved it (for me at least - can others confirm?):

From my point of view it's NOT a PVR Client issue:
1. I encountered it under Scheduler Console (if not used on the same machine as Scheduler/Core Service; on this it ran fine)
2. I encountered the same thing under all XBMC network clients

3. Solved it (again: for me - it runs like a charm now on Scheduler console as well as from withing XBMC) through (just) adjusting my QoS settings of my routers giving Argus priority. The stream has no file type, just a port; depending on your router you may prioritize IP ports, LAN ports and/or applications
Just spotted this. Happy to try but surely that wouldn't make it work better on the same PC would it?

What port is it?

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:20 am

Doesn't look like my router supports QoS. But i'd be suprised if that solved it anyway as it also happens on the same PC.

@Red_F - I understand you are "the man" here. Any ideas? i've posted logs etc. i'd love to get this sorted because I can't currently use the radio channels.

EDIT:
Just tried my iPad again (Frodo RC3 with no buffer changes) which is obviously over wifi and that works perfectly. PC (Frodo RC3 with Argus and tuners on same machine) doesn't and neither does RPi (OpenELEC 2.99) over Ethernet. So I can't believe it's network-related.

I'm going to try the RPi on wifi later so that it is comparible with the iPad
Last edited by daveb500 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:36 am

daveb500 wrote:Doesn't look like my router supports QoS. But i'd be suprised if that solved it anyway as it also happens on the same PC.

@Red_F - I understand you are "the man" here. Any ideas? i've posted logs etc. i'd love to get this sorted because I can't currently use the radio channels.
Yes, I've been looking at your logs. Especially the log entries "no data for 1 second" are important. I'm now trying to find out if that lack of data is caused by XBMC, the add-on or network issues outside the software.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:38 am

Red_F wrote:
daveb500 wrote:Doesn't look like my router supports QoS. But i'd be suprised if that solved it anyway as it also happens on the same PC.

Yes, I've been looking at your logs. Especially the log entries "no data for 1 second" are important. I'm now trying to find out if that lack of data is caused by XBMC, the add-on or network issues outside the software.
Thanks, really appreciated. Let me know if I can do anything to help with your investigations.