NFS Option for use with Raspberry Pi

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
Glazzanz

NFS Option for use with Raspberry Pi

Post by Glazzanz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi Guys

Im unable to get XBMC, with the Argus TV plugin to stream... it plays for a second or two, then buffers for 30 - 40 seconds.

From reading, it would appear this is likely to be caused by the SMB overhead - and therefore I wonder if there is a way to have the plugin go looking for an NFS location?

Thanks
David

Christoph21x

Re: NFS Option for use with Raspberry Pi

Post by Christoph21x » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:52 am

Hi David!

Are you talking about live TV streaming or "stream" of recorded shows?
The first one doesn't use smb.

Which OS are you using and what kind of LAN connection?

Greetz - Christoph
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

Glazzanz

Post by Glazzanz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi Chris

Argus-TV is running on Windows 7 - I have 2 xbmc front ends also running windows 7 that are working correctly.

The network is wired - not wireless, 1Gbps to the Argus-TV, and 100Mbps to the Pi.

I've somehow completely screwed it now anyway - I can not see the listings, but try to play live tv and I get a timeout waiting for the buffer file, and recorded just does nothing... redeployed the image and same result - so I assume I've broken something on the backend machine...

Thanks
David

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Hey David, good evening.

I was asking, because I made pretty good (performance) experience with Openelec (latest version 3.0 Beta 6 equivalents XBMC RC2). Runnin g it on a VERY old Netbook and its fasten than my i8 Win7 - and starts up faster than my smartphone :D
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec scroll to Raspberry Pi

That's why I was asking for OS (on the Raspberry) and LAN type. Less than 54 MBit with HD is not an optimum - but still works, depending on the network situation.

Greetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

Glazzanz

Post by Glazzanz » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Christoph21x wrote: I was asking, because I made pretty good (performance) experience with Openelec (latest version 3.0 Beta 6 equivalents XBMC RC2). Runnin g it on a VERY old Netbook and its fasten than my i8 Win7 - and starts up faster than my smartphone :D
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec scroll to Raspberry Pi

That's why I was asking for OS (on the Raspberry) and LAN type. Less than 54 MBit with HD is not an optimum - but still works, depending on the network situation.
Thanks Chris - I assume I'm hitting a limitation of the Pi. I have it back working again now, and although it will play the content, with the Openelec version you refer to above it pauses every 10 or so seconds, buffers for a couple and then carries on... Same applies for live TV - however I note for live TV there appears to also be a SMB connection made??

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:49 am

Hi David!

Sorry to hear that.
Yes, was talking about SMB - by the way, I made some transfer speed tests yesterday.
I have a NAS which is quite at the limit with its speed (known for this issue) to play HD files over LAN and WLAN und XBMC (sure: not scientific, just looking roughly at transfer rates; MB=MegaBYTES, all on Gbit LAN, tested with files > 1GB):
- SMB/CIFS: 16.5 MB/secs
- NFS: 15.5 MB/secs
.. but:
- FTP: 78 MB/secs (!)
I'm just struggling now to get a FTP conn' working, unfortunately the FTP server on the NAS requires active mode, XBMC does support this (adding "?active") at the path's end, but I don't get the keepalive working for that connection.
If you're using a NAS, too, you can check FTP transfer rates with a client? It's much slimmer than SMB or NFS...

Greetz - Chris

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:42 pm

@All: sorry, I know we're OT in the meantime, I'll split this topic lateron and move the recent parts to Off Topic section...

Hi David,
sorry to write again, but I've found an bad configuration on my routers that may apply to you as well?
I recognized that I had no issue when streaming over WLAN, only when use over cabled Gbit LAN, which was astonishing to me.

The reason was simple: WLAN by default is prioritized by my routers' QoS settings, the other predefined settings (never touched it) were assigned to games and various types of video conferencing software.
My NAS doesn't support QoS at all.

My Netgear routers support apllication-related and LAN port-related QoS settings thus I prioritized the NAS port to highest, my most frequently used Argus / XBMC LAN port to high - and experienced a completely new behaviour: all films run like a charm now - even playing various HD films from different XBMC/Argus Clients around the spot simultaneously.
I know that other routers also support at least application-related QoS settings... you might try to play with those settings, too.
I just also succeded with the FTP connection, but it's not needed anymore (had just some remaining UTF8-conversion issues concerning file names, which I would have accepted.. after some mor hours of struggling :D ).

Hope this may help you as well.

Chris