EPG and Channel List Ordering

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
c128

EPG and Channel List Ordering

Post by c128 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 am

Apologies if I'm missing something simple, but... I use Mediaportal mostly as my front-end, but on a Linux machine I've started using XBMC Frodo RC3 with the latest client plugin (as available from the PPA - I'm on Ubuntu 12.10).

Is there a way to get XBMC to present the EPG and channel list as it's ordered by Argus TV?

I don't use any explicit channel numbers, as such, but in the Argus TV setup I have ordered my channels as I want to present them - I see them this way in the web access EPG and within Mediaportal with no explicit setup. How do I get the XBMC client to show them in the same order?

Christoph21x

Re: EPG and Channel List Ordering

Post by Christoph21x » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 am

Hi "c" ;)

Go in XBMC to System/Setting/Live TV/ Tab General and make sure that "use channel ordering of backends" is activated. If you only have one back-end (should always be the case with Argus, if you only use Argus), you may also check the second checkbos which name is nearly the same.
Then reset your PVR database, it then restarts the reading from PVR Clients... then all should be as wanted.

Kind regards - Christoph
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

c128

Post by c128 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work for me.

With "User channel ordering of the backends" on I do get a different ordering, but it's still not the ordering that I see in the Argus web view nor in Mediaportal. Tried a few times with this option toggled on/off, resetting the PVR database between goes, but the same result with it toggled "on".

Thanks.

c128

Post by c128 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Actually, scrap the above, it's me being stupid.

I'm seeing the All Channels group.

Doh!

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:40 pm

I've had a similar issue with "always use the channel order from the backend" enabled. In fact the list is almost reversed (with a few which are completely out of place).

If I say "use backend channel numbers" as well, it gives me a channels as "0" but does put them in the correct order. Is there anything i can do to set channel numbers so it makes a bit more sense?

EDIT: actually, using the backend channel numbers isn't 100% right either. Although maybe it would be if I could set the backend channel numbers to something useful?
Last edited by daveb500 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghost5

Post by ghost5 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm

The first part of this isn't the most obvious so maybe it should be added to the installation guide

Go to ARGUS TV Scheduler Console -> Channel Adminstration -> Channels

Next to each channel double click on the LCN column (which I assume in your case is empty)

Enter the desired channel number here (IE 101 for BBC1, 102 for BBC2, 103 for ITV)

When completed press sort by LCN on the right hand side then save.

Now within the Argus EPG all of the channels will be in numerical order

On XBMC go to settings -> Live TV

Enable (tick) both Always use the channel order from the backend and Use backend channels numbers

Click on Reset the PVR database

c128

Post by c128 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Actually, I'm going to go back on discounting what I said and echo the above too.

I was viewing the "All Channels" group, but when I select "UK" (my ordered list of UK channels) the ordering still isn't as it should be, no matter what backend option is selected and if I reset the PVR database. As before, my groups are ordered correctly in the Argus web view and when using the Argus Mediaportal client.

daveb500

Post by daveb500 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 pm

ghost5 wrote:The first part of this isn't the most obvious so maybe it should be added to the installation guide

Go to ARGUS TV Scheduler Console -> Channel Adminstration -> Channels

Next to each channel double click on the LCN column (which I assume in your case is empty)

Enter the desired channel number here (IE 101 for BBC1, 102 for BBC2, 103 for ITV)

When completed press sort by LCN on the right hand side then save.

Now within the Argus EPG all of the channels will be in numerical order

On XBMC go to settings -> Live TV

Enable (tick) both Always use the channel order from the backend and Use backend channels numbers

Click on Reset the PVR database
Thank you, that did the trick :-)

c128

Post by c128 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 pm

In general though, should the XBMC client be maintaining the channel order you've selected in groups etc without assigning channel numbers i.e. is it just a convenient coincidence that it appears this way in the web view and Mediaportal client?

I'm not opposed to adding numbers, just wondering whether it should work without this.