Cateogory not being read by XBMC

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
toricred

Re: Cateogory not being read by XBMC

Post by toricred » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:49 am

That's interesting. I am using 1.7.165 with XBMC nightlies and no color shows up in the guide. I have also tried version 12.1 of XBMC with no luck. this is with the default Confluence skin and the Ace skin. Maybe I have the pngs in the wrong place. Do they belong on the Argus server or the client with XBMC? Also which folder do they belong in?

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:08 pm

toricred wrote:That's interesting. I am using 1.7.165 with XBMC nightlies and no color shows up in the guide. I have also tried version 12.1 of XBMC with no luck. this is with the default Confluence skin and the Ace skin. Maybe I have the pngs in the wrong place. Do they belong on the Argus server or the client with XBMC? Also which folder do they belong in?
If you are looking for different colours for different categories, then I must disappoint you. That is not going to work :(

ARGUS TV uses category 256 for all types, this allows XBMC to show/use the exact same category as used within ARGUS TV. Category descriptions are fetched from ARGUS and shown in XBMC.

The 'standard' set of categories of XBMC work differently and are not (easily) mappable/compatible with ARGUS.

The issue I was referring to was that category 256 did not have any background at all, showing transparent EPG entries that are hard to read on the screen. You can find more information about that here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3968&start=40.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!

planetix

Post by planetix » Sat May 04, 2013 9:35 am

Couldn't we just easily do it like the Mediaportal TVServer addon handles it?

Check out /usr/share/xbmc/addons/pvr.mediaportal.tvserver/resources/genre_translation.xml . All you have to do there is manually map whatever categories Argus comes up with to the generic XBMC ones. Yes, there will be duplicates, and yes, it'll probably take a little trial and error on the part of the user but it works. What do you think?

I know it's not super-user friendly, but it's a solution, and not that bad when you get down to it.

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Sat May 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Yes I know how the MediaPortal addon handles it. It is not what I like, for the exact reason you mentioned "I know it's not super-user friendly".

Actually it is super-unfriendly ;)

I really want this to work out-of-the-box for people like my wife, or some friends of me who simply will not touch anything called 'settings' or 'configuration'. I know there still is some configuration left concerning server names, user-id's etc. etc. Which is why this stuff is still not being used by many people that really would like the end result once everything is working properly.

I'm thinking about adding to my to-do list (which somehow never reaches zero items) the following idea: check for a configured mapping and use that when found, when no mapping exists, keep using category 256 like we do now. That seems to me to combine the best of both worlds, it works without any effort by the user while still allowing those who like to wrestle with XML files to do their thing.

Cheers,
Fred
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!

planetix

Post by planetix » Sat May 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Red_F wrote:Yes I know how the MediaPortal addon handles it. It is not what I like, for the exact reason you mentioned "I know it's not super-user friendly".

Actually it is super-unfriendly ;)

I really want this to work out-of-the-box for people like my wife, or some friends of me who simply will not touch anything called 'settings' or 'configuration'. I know there still is some configuration left concerning server names, user-id's etc. etc. Which is why this stuff is still not being used by many people that really would like the end result once everything is working properly.

I'm thinking about adding to my to-do list (which somehow never reaches zero items) the following idea: check for a configured mapping and use that when found, when no mapping exists, keep using category 256 like we do now. That seems to me to combine the best of both worlds, it works without any effort by the user while still allowing those who like to wrestle with XML files to do their thing.

Cheers,
Fred
I agree - it should be an option for people who want to do it, and not punish people who don't. I think the MePo method works the same way.

I don't see a way for it to get any more user friendly unless something changes in core XBMC or core ArgusTV for this.