Can XBMC client keep server alive?

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
erikture

Can XBMC client keep server alive?

Post by erikture » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Hello!

I have been using Mediaportal and Argus-TV for some years now but recently switched to XBMC.

I have two computers both running Windows 8 64 bit:
1: Livingroom
ARGUS TV-server and XBMC client.
2. Bedroom
XBMC client.

In Mediaportal the ARGUS-TV client in pc 2 woke pc 1 up during start and kept it alive as long as that pc was on. In XBMC this not the case. I have installed Advanced WOL plugin so pc 1 will awake when turning on pc 2.

The problem is that pc 1 is put to sleep if it does not think that it is in use. Whatching a movie located on pc 1 or watching a reccording located on pc 1 is not enough. PC 1 will go to sleep when not watching live tv on Pc 2.

I have the XBMC powersaving feature enabled on both computers and PC 2 is continuisly sending WOL packets to PC 1. If I do not have XBMC powersaving feature enabled the pc will never enter standby.

Is it possible to build the keep alive function into the XBMC client plugin as well as in Mediaportal?
Or is it some other way to keep PC1 alive when using PC2 with the powersaving feature enabled.

/Erik

Christoph21x

Re: Can XBMC client keep server alive?

Post by Christoph21x » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi Erik,

I don't have this issue here - using a similar setup but just with more clients and servers.
A difference MAY be, that I switched Win to keep network connections (shares) alive, and whenever a client is connected to a share, the server(s) don't go to sleep.
If you want to give it a try, at least for Win7 there's a FixIt: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684# ... selfAlways

Maybe it's worth to try, don't know if this helps in your case.

Kind regards - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

erikture

Re: Can XBMC client keep server alive?

Post by erikture » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks!

But the Fixit program was not for Windows 8.
However I have managed to solve my problem in another way.
I changed the powersaving option in Xbmc on pc 1 to exit instead of standby.
When Xbmc have exited pc 1 is awake as long as pc 2 is awake.
When PC2 enters standby Windows powersaving function will set PC1 into standby.
When PC1 resumes Xbmc is restarted automaticaly.

/Erik