Wake On Lan when accessing Live-TV

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
CV8R

Wake On Lan when accessing Live-TV

Post by CV8R » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:30 am

Hi

I have dug around for a solution for a while but never really go there. The challenge is waking the remote Argus Server from XBMC when entering Live TV. I have already configured all 5 of the clients which are a mix of Windows 7 and Raspberry Pi’s to wake the Argus Server which also functions as the shared library via MySQL at boot/resume and when accessing the shares using a mix of the addon Advanced WOL and Gotham’s new feature Auto Wake on LAN.

The issue is that the always on clients allow the Argus server to go back to sleep – desired functionality since the RPi’s are on 24/7. The clients always wake the server at resume or when accessing the shares for the standard library paths. But the Live TV menu, accessing the XBMC Argus addon does not. I have added a favourite in favourites.xml to trigger Advanced WOL addon but that is a manual exercise and certainly not child and WAF friendly.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Auto_wake_on_lan

The Auto Wake on Lan feature in Gotham does not send a WOL for the LiveTV section, see below post.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... pid1417915

So the next thought is to be able to send a WOL directly from the Argus Addon. It would be great to be able to configure a WOL in the Addon that sends, waits then opens the Live TV section whenever the user enters the LiveTV menu or whenever the addon needs to access the Argus server.

Open to other suggestions but the key is – Send WOL when accessing LiveTV. Otherwise WOL works for everything else – hence request here and not at XBMC.

CV8R

CV8R

Re: Wake On Lan when accessing Live-TV

Post by CV8R » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:00 am

Apologies for posting in my own thread...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... ake+on+lan

Looks like the WMC.PVR guys added WOL for their addon.

Any chance that us always up Pi aficionados can get our Argus clients doing the same. Sending WOL's when using the PVR client?

Red_F I have seen a previous post from you back in the Frodo dev days saying that xbmc wouldn't like it and the client wouldn't know how long to wait etc. When I am manually sending WOL packets the Argus recorder wakes and then the playback in the xbmc client carries on, so at least in my system the playback after a WOL appears to work okay.

I agree, the best place for this is in xbmc itself but we may keep waiting...

Thanks
CV8R

rudig

Post by rudig » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:13 pm

Why don't you execute command file on a windows event?

I used this to restart some software when my argus server woke up from sleep by the timer.
If you look in the windows event viewer you can find a power on event, use the id of this event to schedule a task in the the scheduler that triggers when this event Id is triggered.

Hope this helps

PaulAEvans

Post by PaulAEvans » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:15 pm

I have a similar setup with 3x RPI's which of course always on. I use LightsOut (LO) on the main Windows Record Server which with ATV2LO then wakes the server up for recordings and leaves LO control sleep/resume thereafter. One feature of LO on the server is its ability to monitor shares,network traffic etc to keep the server awake whilst its being used for playback.

On the RPI client side I use a smart power distribution block (circa £15) with the Tv as the master which when powered then powers up the RPI and subsequently also wakes the server using advanced RPI WOL. I have used advance WOL on other RPI's to wake the server when playback/Live TV is required and this also kicks start the resume process which then populates the epg etc...This process seems to work well.

Further RPI WOL scripts will allow automation of this process so I think whilst not integrated as part of the PVR process a simple WOL script will do what you want http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ad ... ake_On_Lan
Server: Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD3R Intel i7 Corsair 6GB;Os on Sandisk 128GB SSD; TBS 6984 QuadDVB-S2, Nova-DT Dual DVB-T, Win7 SP1, Argus 2.3, SQLExp 2012
Clients: 3x XBMC RaspPi;1x ASUS A8N-VM CSM AMD 4200+ 2GB RAM, Win7 SP1 MP1.6/XBMC,Argus 2.3

CV8R

Post by CV8R » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I appreciate it.

@rudig I do not use any windows clients, they are all RPi and Linux. Waking the Argus server at power on for the Linux clients is not a problem but the RP's are always on and therefore there is no resume event.

@PaulAEvans The server will wake itself for recordings and sleep itself after, no issue. LO won't work for me the PC doesn't have it but a good solution, I toyed with the idea of my NAS packet sniffing... Using a smart power strip is clever but impractical for me since I have 4 RPi's in two houses and is sledge hammer to what should be simple to resolve in software (arguably in xbmc rather than the plugin). Issue is when a client wants to watch LiveTV or a recording from LiveTV, this is the only time the Argus server needs to be awake, except for recordings or web page interaction, clearly. I have achieved the server wake by launching a script that fires a magic packet when entering the remote key mapped Main Menu or the Live TV menu. No need for AWOL for me. This is straightforward to accomplish and wakes the server so that clients can watch.

The major drawback with the above is that it is a workaround that doesn't catch all cases. If the user doesn't launch LiveTV before the sleep timeout the server with Argus sleeps. I have to train the operators to launch the Main Menu or exit and go back into Live TV again. It works but its a kludge.

Ideally xbmc will send the WOL magic packet as it does now for all other sources accept LiveTV. There is a feature request in place for this but I suspect its way down the list and may never see the light, fingers crossed it does.

In the mean time it would be super handy if the Argus plugin did the waking.

Cheers
CV8R

CV8R

Post by CV8R » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi Argus Dev's

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2251

Does this merged PR in allow the PVR client addon to send WOL via the API?

Apologies if I have miss read it or missed something really obvious.

CV8R.

dot-i
Site Admin

Post by dot-i » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:47 pm

CV8R wrote:Hi Argus Dev's

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2251

Does this merged PR in allow the PVR client addon to send WOL via the API?

Apologies if I have miss read it or missed something really obvious.

CV8R.
Seems like it, but I guess Red_F needs to add support for this to the plugin then.
I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf. -- Robert Bloch