Resuming partially watched recordings starts from beginning

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
agitate

Resuming partially watched recordings starts from beginning

Post by agitate » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:49 pm

I made the jump to Gotham (latest nightly build) and when I resume watching a recording XBMC pops up its usual prompt to ask me whether I want to continue playing from my previous position or from the beginning, and even though I select to continue, it starts from the beginning. My other videos (accessed from the Video -> Files menu) all resume correctly, so I was wondering whether it was something particular to this plugin that was stopping it working correctly.

On a positive note, the move to Gotham has brought with it a very satisfying increase in responsiveness, especially when it first starts up and reads the EPG and recording info, so thanks for all your hard work on the PVR plugin!

Red_F

Re: Resuming partially watched recordings starts from beginn

Post by Red_F » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:12 pm

Watching recorded shows is done through the XBMC video player, outside of the addon.

This sounds like the resume position gets reset between the moment you choose 'continue' and the actual moment it starts playing. I can't say I have seen this happening. Do you have a debug log with this happening?
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!

agitate

Post by agitate » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:15 pm

Log attached.

I selected to play the file:

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle (Shilbottle - 16)_BBC TWO_2014-03-01_22-00.ts

I was asked if I would like to resume from 34:42, which I selected to do, and playback started from the beginning of the recording.

The selection of the file happens around line 2069 of the log file.

Thanks for your time on this. Just noticed that Gotham Beta 1 has been released!
Attachments
xbmc-log.zip
XBMC log file
(32.25 KiB) Downloaded 526 times

agitate

Post by agitate » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Installed Gotham Beta 1 and it still does the same thing.

Ostrich

Post by Ostrich » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:22 pm

beta 2 same problem :-(

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:34 am

The log shows that ARGUS correctly returns the last played position as 2082 seconds. Playing of recorded programs is done totally indepent of the addon by the standard XBMC Video Player. Therefore it looks as though the Video player correctly shows the location where it should resume, but does not use it. I would advise you to post this on the XBMC forum.

DJvL

Post by DJvL » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:02 am

Beta 3 same problem.

agitate

Post by agitate » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:50 pm

Red_F wrote:I would advise you to post this on the XBMC forum.
Okay. I'll try posting this up on their forum instead. Can you just confirm that you personally haven't seen this behaviour, and the version of the plugin that you are using is the same as that installed with Gotham beta 3, please. Thanks for your help.

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Mmmmm, the versions of the addon I use are 1.6.166 on Frodo for everyday family use. And version 1.9.174 on my development system (don't worry this version has not yet been merged with the main repo).

On Frodo I know that it doesn't work, support was removed from the PVR parts only days before Frodo went live.

On Gotham I'm happy to see from your logfile that support has returned, at least by calling the addon to retrieve the location from the PVR server.

I am using a rather old XBMC Gotham version on my development system, since the PVR API has not changed for many months, and hesitate to change that. Many commits break the build on some of the platforms and that means it can take quite some time again until my development systems are in a state again that they can be used to build and test the addon. Keeping those environments stable has priority.

I will try to build a Gotham Beta 3 Linux machine to verify the behaviour.

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Okay, I have built a Linux Gotham_beta3 configuration with addon 1.9.174.

I am seeing exactly the same behaviour as you.

When I start watching a recording, I get the popup dialog showing the resume time that XBMC retrieves from ARGUS TV. When I choose that time it simply starts playing from the start of the video file.

I monitored the system, but the only activity by the addon is getting and setting the last played position from ARGUS TV. All the actual playing of the audio/video/data of the recording is done by the standard xbmc player. There is no interaction with the addon for this.

So without diving into the internals of xbmc itself there is nothing I can do at this moment.