Disable Timeshift?

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
h3x

Disable Timeshift?

Post by h3x » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi there,

i'm new to Argus TV. My Installation works fine so far. Argus TV Server running on a Windows 7 machine. Client (Raspberry Pi) works with Openelec and ArgusTv PVR-Plugin.

I don't use Timeshift often. So i thought i maybe could disable Timeshift to prevent the HDD writing data on the Server while watching LiveTV. I searched here an in the Wiki but didn't found something about an option to disable Timeshift. Is there any way to prevent Timeshift?

Greetz
h3x ;)

luetty

Re: Disable Timeshift?

Post by luetty » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:11 pm

No, it isn't i think.

Sorry

Caesium

Post by Caesium » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:58 pm

No, the files written are used by clients to read from as they play TV back. It's pretty fundamental to how Argus works I'm afraid, there's no way to spit data directly from the TV card out to a client. (well, not a publically exposed one, and I doubt there's anything internally dot-i keeps secret).

That said you could just set up a tiny (literally 100MB probably do just fine) ramdisk and timeshift into that using appropriately sized files.

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:31 am

Correct: it's not possible.
Any network jitter or bandwidth issue in your home would otherwise lead to an immediate breakdown of the live TV stream - with timeshift buffer, you only get a short delay or stutter in those cases.
Greetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

h3x

Post by h3x » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Thank you for all the replys and clarification.

Also thank you Caesium for the idea using a RAMDisk for Timeshift. Never thought about something like this. I setup a 2GB RAMDisk and It works fine so far. Switching TV channels seems a little bit faster now too.

Greetz
h3x