Resuming partially watched recordings starts from beginning

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
Red_F

Re: Resuming partially watched recordings starts from beginn

Post by Red_F » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:42 pm

A quick search on the XBMC forum found other people discussing the fact that the position gets retrieved ok, but is not actually used:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=179245

There may be more information to find there, I didn't do a very thorough research job.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!

agitate

Post by agitate » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks for the help Red_F. I'll have a search around based on that thread you linked to.

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Now that I have a system with this behaviour will try to dig into the XBMC internal code to see if I can find why this is not working. Do not expect too much of this though, because it is a *large* number of files and I'm not very familiar with the internal workings of the xbmc video player.

CV8R

Post by CV8R » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:49 am

Now working in Gotham RC1. Confirmed on Android, Win and Millhouse Openelec RPi builds. Did something change to resolve the issue?

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:14 am

I suspect it's directly related to this viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4378&start=20#p32176
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

CV8R

Post by CV8R » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:41 am

Now working in Gotham RC1. Confirmed on Android, Win and Millhouse Openelec RPi builds. Did something change to resolve the issue?
HHmmmm not sure what drugs I was smoking but now its not working - I am positive that resume worked last night but today, not.

I can confirm its still ignores the resume point as per the original report.

Apologies for the confusion.

CV8R

Ostrich

Post by Ostrich » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:52 pm

+1 dont fixed!

Red_F

Post by Red_F » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 pm

That makes sense, since there was no code changed for this :D

I have been looking into the XBMC internal handling of this. There are some logic errors inside xbmc/xbmc/pvr/recordings/PVRRecording.cpp.

The 'GetLastPlayedPosition' method does not update the metadata that is cached inside the instance of the recording object. It returns the proper time to the dialog, and that gets displayed. But when the XBMC videoplayer asks the recording 'hey tell me your resume point' it returns zero because it has not been updated there.

I'm trying to create a fix for Team XBMC. Sadly even tiny things like causes many changes and I'm not sure they will accept it so close to release.

Fun fact: this only causes PVR clients to fail resume, that support the GetLastPlayedPosition PVR API on the server.

hagayg

Post by hagayg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:07 pm

Hey there

just to let you know.

Also happens with rc version of gotham (both via xbmc windows and openelec on rpi and x86)

is it addon related (only argus tv pvr addon problem) or all pvr addons has this problem ?

hagayg

Post by hagayg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:51 pm

Just now noticed the last red_f post about the problem.

If i understood correctly , argus tv pvr addon is the only one that uses the backend pvr (arugs tv) for last playback position ? all the other addons uses the local xbmc db for last playback positions.

If so ,there might be a "simple" soultion to add a config option in the addon configuration to use xbmc db for last playback position.

My setup uses mysql db for all xbmc instances , so for me and others like me this should fix the problem and avoid waiting for a change in xbmc core (or even future dependence on xbmc core while most other pvr addons does not)