Channel logos

Post your great ideas and suggestions here
fattfill

Channel logos

Post by fattfill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi all,

I've been using for the record, and now argus, with Media portal for a number of year now and have always found good sources for UK channel logos, either over here or in the MP forums. However in my latest hunt for some logos for some new BBC HD channels in the UK, there seems to be alot of development going into a logomanager plugin on the MP side. This plugin however, doesn't work with Argus. If you use MP, it grabs lists of channel groups and channels from MP, then searches various repositories for new logos for those channels. The guys that develop this plugin believe they could modify it to work with Argus, though they don't themselves use Argus. If anyone fancies a challenge and providing them any advice, building Argus support into that logo manager would simply things for alot of people worldwide.

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threa ... 76/page-40

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Phil

dot-i
Site Admin

Re: Channel logos

Post by dot-i » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:11 pm

ARGUS TV has a really easy to use REST api, ideal for this kind of stuff: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3946
I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf. -- Robert Bloch

Edalex

Post by Edalex » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:23 pm

I am one of guys who did plugin for MediaPortal.
We don't think rest api is the good way to communicate with argus. Better is to use net SDK. I'm still learning Argus code and honestly I'm confused a bit about dlls I need to reffer.Files on forum are 2.0.1. Are they ok for mediaportal 1.5/1.6? Or should I get ones from github?
So I know for now that argus could be just tv plugin which is communicating with MP TV Server or full pack of plugin with recorder.
So, in first case user will have mediaportal tvlibrary dlls, argus.ui.mediaportal dll and argus net api dlls. Am I right?
In second case user will not have tvlibrary dll since it doesn't need to communicate with mptvserver but it will also require argus.mediaportal.recorder dlls. Right?
All I need from argus is to get list of available groups, list of channels in specifis groups.
I foud three referencies to groups in argus api reference
1) I could use SchedulerServiceAgent probaly something like:

Code: Select all

ArgusTV.ServiceAgents.SchedulerServiceAgent agent = new ArgusTV.ServiceAgents.SchedulerServiceAgent();
ArgusTV.DataContracts.ChannelGroup[] ArgusTVGroups = agent.GetAllChannelGroups(ArgusTV.DataContracts.ChannelType.Television, false);
ArgusTV.DataContracts.ChannelGroup[] ArgusRadioGroups = agent.GetAllChannelGroups(ArgusTV.DataContracts.ChannelType.Radio, false);
But how schedeluer is connected to channels? And it looks like method for retrieving channels from argus db not mptvserver
2) another agent with group list interface not method
3) code in Argus recorder is probably communicating with mptvserver and I saw methods to get tv groups from it. But users with only argus tv plugin installed don't have argus recored file as I think.
So i'm really confused :(

dot-i
Site Admin

Post by dot-i » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:33 pm

While I do indeed need to update the .NET sdk (I'll put it on my TODO list) I would like to promote the REST api regardless, it's the way forward for future ARGUS TV versions.

And with something like RestSharp (http://restsharp.org/) it's really easy to use the api.

In what other way are you confused? Let me clarify that the api is really the ARGUS api, you should never look at it from a point of view that MediaPortal is involved. When you use the MediaPortal TV server plugin this simply uses TV Server as a Recorder, nothing more. In all other respects you have an ARGUS TV system, just like when you would be using the built-in ARGUS Recorder.

Kay Diefenthal

Post by Kay Diefenthal » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:00 pm

i prefer the usage of .net sdk too
but we must wait for it

Edalex

Post by Edalex » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks for your answer, dot-i.
dot-i wrote:While I do indeed need to update the .NET sdk (I'll put it on my TODO list) I would like to promote the REST api regardless, it's the way forward for future ARGUS TV versions.
Since ARGUS TV plugin for Mediaportal is not using REST why should our LogoManager (which is plugin too) use another way?
dot-i wrote:In what other way are you confused?
Well, I tried to figure out where channel info is stored if you're using argus in both ways. Since I had to import channels from mptvserver DB to argus DB in Argus's MP TV Server plugin I understand now that info is in Argus DB and I should use ShedulerServiceAgent for our needs and not communicate with mediaportal tv server db. I installed argus as client and successfully grabbed channel logos using our plugin so I can say it is working. I assume if you're using argus recorder you need to use the same methods. Just need to find proper tester for it since mine one is using mp tv server with argus.

dot-i
Site Admin

Post by dot-i » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Great to hear it's starting to work and make sense. Normally if you get it working with MP TV server as recorder, things should also work with the ARGUS recorder. That's kinda the point of the api, make it work on all systems :-)

You are right the MP plugin currently doesn't use the rest api right now, but it will actually move to this in time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Vasilich

Post by Vasilich » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi dot-i,
several questions about how to proceed better in MediaPortal LogoManager plugin:
  1. 1. How to get Argus REST URL from MP plugin? is there any configuration file for Argus plugin there? or does it work only for singleseat systems (i.e. TV Server/Argus on the same PC as client - in that case connection to localhost should work) ?
  • 2. Where should our LogoManager plugin store logos? Argus Wiki states that all logos are stored in appdata\argus tv\channel logos\. But is this path valid for every client? Do the logos saved on every client, or on the server only, and every client requests them from server? If logos are stored on server only, what is the best way to upload them?
  • 3. Is it possible to rename Argus channels? If yes, is the broadcaster channel name available anywhere?
Note that we trying to use REST API to get channel list and groups from Argus server.

Thanks in advance.

Vasilich

Post by Vasilich » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:42 am

Hi,
just want to gentle bump this thread, as users are still asking for Argus support in our plugin (LogoManager for Mediaportal), but i cannot give them any answer because of lacking information about argus internals. I can guess the answer on my 1st question above, but for the 2nd and 3rd - only dot-i can answer them ?

liamnewman

Post by liamnewman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:37 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the necrobump but i think i can answer quesions 2 and 3.
2. Argus stores channel logos on the server and sends them to clients on connect.
3. Depends. If a channel is generated from an xmltv file, you can't change it. If you create a channel from a service and bind the epg to that, the channel will take the name of the service. You can name services anything.

Hope this helps.
Liam