ARGUS TV is under attack! A cry for help?

Official announcements about ARGUS TV
Caesium

Re: ARGUS TV is under attack! A cry for help?

Post by Caesium » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm not a lawyer, and I know nothing especially about Belgian law, but I did used to run Newzbin and am currently defending myself against claims from the MPA so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with lawyers and processes in the UK ;)

What stage are you at with this? If you've just received letters from them/their lawyers, without involving a court, then you can (for now) safely ignore it or tell them in your own language to go stuff themselves.

If you've received letters from whatever court saying that they've actually put in a claim, then I'm afraid you do need to go spend some money to defend it. Here in the UK we'd get (most of) our legal costs paid by the other side if we defend ourselves in this way and win the case.

If you do nothing after receiving letters from the court then they can win by default, sometimes within a very short timeframe, so you need to act promptly on them.

ehfortin

Post by ehfortin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi,

Sorry, I'm not a lawyer. However, I would like to know what are the impacts if things are getting out of control? Are they after the name? After the website? After the software? In the previous posts, people are talking about the name but I don't know if that's all or not.

If they are only arguing about the name, is it a big thing to change? Before becoming Argus TV, it was known under 4TR. Changing the name would not be too bad in my opinion as you can easily publish the new URL and send a post to everybody in the community about it. I understand it is annoying but it may be a quick fix that would alleviate useless pressure on you.

Always assuming it is related to the name and that the letter is from the lawyers, as indicated by Caesium, you could have a window to negotiate to keep the domain argus-tv alive as a notice page explaining that Argus TV is now "new name" and having a redirect to the new site.

Hope you will be able to get it resolved as you want. Good luck.

ehfortin

Hominidae

Post by Hominidae » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:10 pm

dot-i wrote:UPDATE: unfortunately amongst the thousands of ARGUS TV users noone has stepped forward so far... :(
I am also not a lawyer...but wanted to say that I just found this thread by accident.

If you want to reach out to the community...send a PM to every registered user, maybe?

Get consultancy on your case from a lawyer...this is maybe less than an hour effort.
Finding the right lawyer is more difficult, I'd say.
And since this is a non commercial project, fees won't be that high. I believe they are standardised.

If you have a confirmed case (and chance to win), raise funds from the community.
I certainly would be willing to donate some money in order to keep it alive for me..

hanandyn

Post by hanandyn » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi Nico,

Same as all the rest, I am not a lawyer, but since you have many people using the argus-tv (which are not lawyers) why don't you raise funds to hire one.
I am sure many would pay what they can to help out and not loosing your great product.

Malyngo

Post by Malyngo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:45 pm

I also am no lawyer, unfortunatly.
But for me this sounds like they are just trying to frighten you with some lawyer talk because they hope there might be a chance you give up the name without a fight.

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Malyngo wrote:I also am no lawyer, unfortunatly.
But for me this sounds like they are just trying to frighten you with some lawyer talk because they hope there might be a chance you give up the name without a fight.
Not the case I'm afraid :(
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

Saxtus

Post by Saxtus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:51 pm

This is sad. :(
I understand that what they are doing is stupid, but the bottom line is that they can do it and they are doing it. :evil:

If changing ARGUS TV to something else is something doable, will it save you from all this fuss or it won't have any impact?
I am asking, because I am not sure how tied you (and the community) are with the current name, but I don't see anyone to be able to help with the fight for keeping the name.

So, I see two ways that we, the community, can help on this:
Either raise some money for the lawyers as Hominidae & hanandyn said (use something like this) or embracing any new name you decide for this excellent software as ehfortin suggested.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 am

R-GUS TV? :D

Hominidae

Post by Hominidae » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:52 pm

hexagon wrote:R-GUS TV? :D
Ha...nice idea, but only at first sight.

Here in Germany a retail shop won a case in court against a restaurant that
only *sounded* (where the name come/was from Portuguese, BTW) near/like the
retailers trademarked name.

dot-i
Site Admin

Post by dot-i » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Argus is actually not trademarked, and as far as I know it can't be really, it's a name of a Greek god and used by many companies.
I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf. -- Robert Bloch