Which cards support satellite tv?

General talk about ARGUS TV
fr0st

Which cards support satellite tv?

Post by fr0st » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:09 am

I have satellite tv and I was wondering which cards I can use that are supported by this software.

From what I understand, through my provider I must use a capture card instead of a standard tuner. I tried the hauppauge colossus only to find out its not supported.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

tompa

Re: Which cards support satellite tv?

Post by tompa » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 am

Hi!
Do you want a card with or without CAM/Card-interface?
Have a look here - http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php? ... ATSC_cards

BR,
/tompa

fr0st

Post by fr0st » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:28 pm

I need one without CAM. My provider wants all devices to be registered. Therefor I think I just want a capture card. (preferably HDMI compatible). I have already looked at this list and it seems to indicate it only supports tuners, not capture cards. Also, most of these cards are very old ad harder to find. I was hoping this was just a small out of date list.

I realize I may just be reading this wrong. I am obviously new at all of this.

fr0st

Post by fr0st » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:29 pm

I don't know what the rules are here about posting specifics. But I am a directv subscriber if that helps.

thanks guys!

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 am

I'm no authority on this, but I've dug around in the archived forums.

It seems that people are using the MediaPortal TV Server for DirectTV as there is currently no native ARGUS TV solution. ARGUS TV can connect to the MediaPortal TV Server and control it.

The two main cards used appear to be the Hauppauge HD-PVR(external) and the Hauppauge Colossus(internal). I gather they receive the DirectTV Box output and use a IR blaster to change channels.

As for the list of tuners. Our Wiki is only 3½ months old, and created by the community. So very much still a work in progress. It relies a lot on people providing information or adding it themselves, so the lists there are far from exhaustive.

Does that help?
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

fr0st

Post by fr0st » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:48 am

andrewNZ wrote: It seems that people are using the MediaPortal TV Server for DirectTV as there is currently no native ARGUS TV solution. ARGUS TV can connect to the MediaPortal TV Server and control it.
Well thanks for the quick response. Yes this helps! Now, I am looking around and cannot find how to control the mediaportal server. Can someone point me to a wiki page?

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:28 am

Hi fr0st!

There's quite a short instruction you may find here: http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php? ... er.2FTuner

If that's not enough, please feel free to ask in here.

Kind regards - Christoph
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

fr0st

Post by fr0st » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:43 pm

OK, so I am down to the last few problems.

- Argus logs say "failed to tune to channel" thus never recording anything.

- I have the hauppauge ir blaster set up, yet when scheduling it does not change channels.

- I cant find the channel logos for direct tv US

- The mediaportal argus plugin shows half of the channels are not linked. I can go through and do it one by one, but is there a quick merge I could do?

- I got one show to record, but there was no sound (encoder download?)

Thank you guys so much in advance.