HDHomerun Prime: Does Argus TV support encrypted channels?

General talk about ARGUS TV
A Happy Cloud

Re: HDHomerun Prime: Does Argus TV support encrypted channe

Post by A Happy Cloud » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:31 pm

rudig wrote:Isn't à card sharing setup with mdapi filter the way to go for you guys?
Works here already for about two years together with 4tr and later on with argus (4tr is the predesessor of argus)

Regard
Do you mean like this?

Because even after setting it to that, it still says the channel is scrambled. Am I missing something?
Last edited by A Happy Cloud on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pkscout

Post by pkscout » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:05 am

TMSpack wrote:Argus TV can definitely communicate with the HDHomerun Prime with a cable card. It sees the tumers and when it scans, I can use the HDHomerun utilities to see it changing channels. So - Communication is fine. When I scan, the unencrypted channels show up with a proper description, but the encrypted channels only show up as "SID:<xxxx>" where <xxxx> is a number up to 5 digits. When I try to play those channels, it says the channel is scrambled and refuses to show it. I have searched this forum high and low, and I see posts that say it won't work with encrypted channels and I see posts that say it definitely will! :?
You got further than I did then. When I put in a cable card Argus never found any channels after that.

As for encrypted channels, I'm going to be definitive here and say that Argus will not decode those. For a system to be able to decode stuff using a CableCard, it must be certified by CableLabs. I believe Windows Media Center is the only non-hardware solution available in the US that has that certification. A couple of other vendors have software solutions that "work" with CableCard in the sense that they will record any of the unencrypted channels, but that doesn't count as far as I'm concerned.

A Happy Cloud

Post by A Happy Cloud » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:05 am

rudig wrote:Isn't à card sharing setup with mdapi filter the way to go for you guys?
Works here already for about two years together with 4tr and later on with argus (4tr is the predesessor of argus)

Regard
Do you think you could post your settings for 4tr. I've tried enabling MDAPI but it doesn't seem to help.

rudig

Post by rudig » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 am

Hi,

Since I'm not an expert on this I can't tell the exact procedure.
The procedure I used was from à dutch website its not handy for our english readers.
In short.

1 install and register mdapi plugin software. Start viewing a free to air channel, this triggers the correct folders to be created in the dvb-card folders, do this for every card

2 configure software to communicate from mdapi to either acamd or newcs, I work with newcs

3 connect smargo reader I need for connecting my smart card from tv-provider

4 configure and start newcs to connect to smartcard reader

This setup, is also known as cardsharing, which in the netherlands is allowed for in home use.

Hope this helps a bit

Original dutch post which maybe read thorugh google translate:
http://zepman.tweakblogs.net/blog/2228/ ... de-pc.html

TMSpack

Post by TMSpack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:23 pm

I am also having trouble with MDAPI plus. Following the directions in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4165, I have been able to get all the pieces together and attempt the MDAPI Plus install. It gets stuck on the plugin.zip. It says it can't read the zip file, and it returns with error 2.

Any thoughts?

BobbyDazzler2248

Post by BobbyDazzler2248 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi

Has anyone made any progress with this issue? I am wondering if mine is related. I have a HDHR Prime with Comcast CableCard and I cannot find any services when I do a scan following the instructions and wiki. (http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php?title=HDHomeRun)

I do get the expected broadcasts using MCE, MythTV and NextPVR though.

avandeputte

Post by avandeputte » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:40 am

I also have Verizon Fios with HD Homerun Prime. Trying to configure Argus TV with no luck. Only the local channels come across, eventhough other PVR software (NextPVR, SageTV) have no issue with my channels.

Anybody made any progress on this?

dvgeek

Re: HDHomerun Prime: Does Argus TV support encrypted channels?

Post by dvgeek » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:51 pm

I wonder how NextPVR can support encrypted channels and Argus cannot....

rudig

Post by rudig » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Encrypted channels and argus work fine, although currently I don't have hd homerun.
But it should be possible. If channels are found during scan then a setup with mdapi should solve the encryption part

dvgeek

Post by dvgeek » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:06 am

rudig wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:02 pm
Encrypted channels and argus work fine, although currently I don't have hd homerun.
But it should be possible. If channels are found during scan then a setup with mdapi should solve the encryption part
Thanks for the reply - I've read-up all documentation I could find on mdapi (mdapi plus) and acamd and tried my best to configure.

With the 20161119 version of HDHomeRun - when set to Cable Card, Argus does now find any turners. When set to Digital Cable, it finds the three Prime tuners. After setting the recommended values in the advanced settings for each tuner,
the Scanning process finds channels - but the service names do not make any sense.

Going into the status and trying to manually do a test recording on any of the found services comes back with an error that no service PMT was found.

HDHomerun setup finds and tunes all the channels and I am able to watch the channels on HDHomerun View.

I think NextPVR just takes the information from HDHomeRun and uses it to tune - Wish Argus could be that simple....