What is Argus aiming for?

General talk about ARGUS TV
rudig

What is Argus aiming for?

Post by rudig » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:48 am

I'm a bit lost in what Argus is aiming for.
If I look at the wiki Argus pretends to be a plugin which is superb at flexibel recording scheduling. And my idea is that indeed that is a brilliant peace of work that works perfect.

What I don't read is : simple installation and configuration.

I tried to discuss user friendly'ness a couple of times, but it just doesn't seem very important.

What goal are we aiming for? I'd personally love to see Argus become more user friendly

Christoph21x

Re: What is Argus aiming for?

Post by Christoph21x » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Most of us will indeed support you in this request. This has been very frequently requested.
But: claiming is simply done - the fulfillment is hard work.

Dot-i is preparing exactly this with Argus 2.3: to push it to open-source and make it multi-platform capable for all supporters. This is a huge internal re-work and he's basically alone with this.

We'd like to invite you to joining the constructive development of Argus. There are several possible levels to achieve user-friendliness, always keeping the actual state of development in mind:
  • Join the development team and simply MAKE it more user-friendly under https://github.com/ARGUS-TV/ARGUS-TV
  • Join the Wiki team and ameliorate / update the articles there. First stands the need to extend the coverage, not to edit existing articles - unless they're faulty. Note, that the whole Wiki has been written by a hand-full of people, all being fond of Argus and doing this in their leisure time.
  • Join by actively supporting users asking in the forums for support. Look at their requests with patience and respond in a least technical way with practical solution proposals. The ONLY target is to resolve their issues.
A software may be seen as user-friendly, if the immediate support is given, even, if the software by itself seems to be a piece of "professionals-only" software.
It is up to us, until user-friendliness has arrived to all the bits of code, to ensure this user-friendliness through active supporting.
Simply claiming user-friendliness within a code - useless.

There's a "ten-two-letter-words" saying: "if it is to be, it is up to me."

Will you join? And - on which level?

Greetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

rudig

Post by rudig » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:22 pm

As you know I try to help other on the forum.
Coding is not my best thing.
Helping to understand where we could improve argus is something I can help with.
Remember the NIT Scanning discussion, I was asking about it to improve the scanning features. But sometimes I get the idea that user friendly ness is not important, if anyone says that channel configuration is difficult others say it's not.

If indeed the future is to improve things than I'm more than willing to help

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks, Rudi
That´ll be a big help. As I said, the quickest help to gain user-friendliness is to provide answers.
The second level is to explain it in the Wiki.
And above that all, I fully agree, we should aim for user-friendliness by design, making Argus a non-expert system in the future.

Kind regards - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)