Argus tv hardware

General talk about ARGUS TV
bluc

Argus tv hardware

Post by bluc » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:26 am

Hey all wondering has anyone used a bay trail atom pc for an argus tv server? There are more and more uultra compact pcs turning up wondering if these would have enough grunt to be a tv server? Here is a few pc's that I am talking about:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8883/ecs- ... ilm-minipc

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8815/zota ... ilm-minipc

http://liliputing.com/2014/08/zotac-zbo ... op-pc.html

These pcs are seriously tiny and enough grunt to play full blu ray wondering about one of these in a custom enclosure along with a 1tb laptop hdd and 3 usb dual tuners to serve up tv over newtork wonder how many clients this thing could stream to, Dont let the atom badge fool you these are light years ahead of the original atom for nettops. Looking at getting one to try in the not to distant future to give it a whirl.

rudig

Re: Argus tv hardware

Post by rudig » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:13 am

From what I've experienced the data through put is the most important.
A HD stream is easily 10mbit on my DVb-c cards. I often stream 2-3 streams so basically the system should be able to handle that.

logifuse

Re: Argus tv hardware

Post by logifuse » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:02 am

I'm running a Brix 2807 as a front end (Celeron Bay Trail). I was running OE 4.2.1 on it, but am now running Windows 8.1 with MP 1.6.

Here's the main issue with it - deinterlacing. With 8.1/1.6/LAV, QuickSync works pretty well, but Intel's graphics drivers are pretty much useless when it comes to custom resolutions on Celerons (it is being worked on, but CustomResApp currently does not work with them). Currently Linux (OE) playback in Kodi 14 is pretty much broken for Bay Trail CPUs. Under OE 4.2.1, VAAPI (hardware) deinterlacing was more or less hopeless & software deinterlacing was borderline.

Would it be OK as a pure TV server? I'd say it would be. Mine has 4GB of RAM & 8.1 has a fairly small footprint. Main issue with the Brix is it only has 2 x USB 2.0 ports & 1 x USB 3.0. Running 3 x USB dual tuners might be tricky.

My current server is an HP Gen8 G1610T Microserver with 4GB of RAM. The G1610T is a Celeron beefed up with more cache to run on a server. It's running 2012R2 Standard, which is LESS intensive than 8.1, but needs the DVB files installed. Rarely uses more than 1.5GB of RAM & 15-20% of CPU. It has a PCIe Quad DVB-T tuner in it. On top of Argus, it runs streamWriter, SABNZBD, Sickbeard, Bittorrent Sync & Logitech Media Server, with a constant RDP session open.

Would I use an Atom? Previously I was running a G7 N40L Microserver (Turion - AMD equivalent to an Atom) with W7 & Argus. Was mostly OK, although I had RAID issues with it (AMD's RAID is a joke). I'd say an Atom would be fine, but go with 8.1 or better still, 2012 R2.