Great piece of software that suits perfectly.

General talk about ARGUS TV
Dread

Great piece of software that suits perfectly.

Post by Dread » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:44 am

I live in Canada, where getting an EPG is very difficult. Further, with my media server PC being "forced" into an upgrade to Windows 10, I suffered the lost of Windows Media Center.

I am a cord cutter, but I insist on retaining local content. Yes, I only get 14 channels OTA, but I insist on getting them. I stay connected with my community, my province, my country that way. Without putting the effort, me and my family would quickly get inundated with American shit in no time. My son would soon insist that having a gun is some sort of right.

Without paying through the nose for cable, staying connected with the local HD OTA feeds is complicated. It needs to be simple to operate for my family.

I am not going to say that setting things up was easy. I have a lot of experience with computers and networks. To get the PVR to work right and easily required:

Installation of HD antenna on my roof.
Installation and configuration of Avermedia USB TV Tuner
Installation of Kodi.
Installation of MS SQL express
Installation of Argus TV.
An account with Schedule Direct, and configuration within Argus.

With a quite of bit of effort, I figured it all out, and got it all working together. I have cut cable, but still get a lot of the content that's important to me, without paying $75 dollars a month, and legally!

Argus TV is a really important part of the solution. It is, in my opinion, way better than the MP TV Server. It allows me to add/move/change OTA programs that I want to record from amy PC in the house, with a clear/simple interface that is uncluttered with shit.

Thanks Argus TV! Great job with 2.3

wayloncovil

Re: Great piece of software that suits perfectly.

Post by wayloncovil » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:37 am

Dread,

Thanks for your thoughts. One question I had was why MediaPortal creates their own TV server when Argus TV seems to have such a tight integration. I'm not asking that question to be disparaging, just curious.

It probably comes down to control. I haven't seen the full source code for Argus TV online (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.)

I just wonder what would happen if instead of having several open source applications that do similar things, everyone pulled their efforts together.

Argus TV is a solid back end application.

I actually don't use a front end. I just watch stuff with Windows Media Center or VLC.

jboeren

Post by jboeren » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:18 pm

I choose the MP tv server because my tuners are not supported by Argus.

As frontend I use a Mede8er player; works perfect!

Dread

Post by Dread » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:05 am

wayloncovil,

I tried MediaPortal, and I had 2 major problems with it:

1. The back end EPG didn`t recognized and work with all the channels in my area. Specifically, the French channels didn`t show up.

2. The MediaPortal front end is designed around having some sort of remote control, as opposed to a wireless keyboard and mouse, which I use. This made going through the guide and fast-forwarding through commercials difficult.

I stuck with Kodi as a front end because of the techno-peasants I live with had a problems going through directories and firing up VLC.Plus VLC has to be carefully reconfigured to make fast forwarding through commercials easy.

Regards,

Dread