Anyone using Mediaportal server with Argus TV plugin?

General talk about ARGUS TV
elsmandino

Anyone using Mediaportal server with Argus TV plugin?

Post by elsmandino » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi,

I have always used Argus TV as my only server and I was just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of using Mediaportal Server instead but with Argus TV as a plugin.

The reason I am asking is that my other half was remembering when we used to use DJ Blu's version of Mediaportal Server (years ago) and recalls that we spent much less time messing around with updating frequencies/channels and she also much preferred the ability to set series record with a single button.

I was just wondering whether there were any advantages of trying to run both together (especially the Sky enhanced version).

Does anyone use series link in addition to (or instead of) the way that Argus schedules recordings?

wpjonesnh

Re: Anyone using Mediaportal server with Argus TV plugin?

Post by wpjonesnh » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Sorry for the extremely late reply but I just relocated back into an area where I am able to use MediaPortal/ArgusTV again. I use MediaPortal with a Cetoncorp infinitv6 card. Just finished setting it up but so far things are running flawlessly. No complaints this way as of yet.Getting everything setup with the cablecard was a little tricky/difficult but totally doable. I am running:

MediaPortal 1.14.0
ArgusTV 2.3

Regards
Single Seat setup
Recorders: (2) HDHomerun Primes with Cable cards
Computer1: MediaPortal 1.15.0 w/ ArgusTV 2.3 on Windows 10 64bit
Computer2: Windows 10 with Plex Mediaserver and 31TB Drivepool

dpmcrae

Post by dpmcrae » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:38 am

I use it all the time and it has wife approval! I have 3 MP clients, a data base server that also runs the Argus TV core server, a MP satellite server, a MP over-the-air server, and a MP DirecTV server. All clients work very well switching between TV servers through the guide menu.

elsmandino

Post by elsmandino » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks for that.

Have you ever tried the Argus TV Server as the main backend?

I was just wondering of what the pros and cons are of using the Argus TV as the sole backend vs Mediaportal Server with Argus as a plugin.

Part of the reason I ask is that although Argus is undoubtedly the best scheduling software out there, I do find (especially at the moment) that mainting it is a bit difficult. Channels keep moving/appearing/disappearing on Astra 28.2 and I do remember that keeping on top of this was much easier with Mediaportal.

I was wondering whether moving back to Mediportal Server but using it with Argus TV as a plugin would be the best move.

One particular thing that I do miss from Mediaportal was DJBlu's plugin that allowed you to record via series link (via CRID), so an entire series would record, despite small changes in title.

Does anyone know whether I could use DJBlu's plugin with Argus as a plugin? I cannot see why this would not work.

Thanks very much.

styrsven

Post by styrsven » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:44 pm

I would be very surprised if it should work. I think Argus and MP scheduling are two separate things that don't mix at all. You can run one or the other, but not both at the same time.

elsmandino

Post by elsmandino » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:43 pm

I had a go with a standalone installation of the Sky-enhanced version of Mediaportal (v 1.11) last night and have realised that I have made a HUGE mistake!

1. TV Server kept crashing whilst I tried to configure it.
2. Series link did work but it struggled to avoid repeats.
3. The Sky plugin was supposed to add and remove new and old channels but I just seem to get duplicate channels.

The few advantages that I thought Mediaportal Server might add were completely wrong, so I shall gladly go back to Argus TV alone and avoid Mediaportal.