Fewer glitches when using MP as backend

Installing and setting up ARGUS TV
fishsticks

Fewer glitches when using MP as backend

Post by fishsticks » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:11 am

I notice using MP's (1.15) backend results in significantly fewer glitches compated to Argus. Years ago when I had tried MP's backend it was totaly unreliable, they seem to have made good progress. When scanning with MP, the options are very specific, down to selecting the specific transmitter (Crystal Palace which is the big one for London). Argus's options are rather generic "DVB-T in Europe". Does the MP's specificity make a difference to quality/accuracy? With Argus, should I change the offset and NIT selections? My aerial isn't great, it's good most of the time unless heavy weather and some lesser channels are often unwatchable even when clear.

jtlarson

Re: Fewer glitches when using MP as backend

Post by jtlarson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks for mentioning your results with MP 1.15.

I have no experience with DVB-T tuners, but I run MP as my 'tuner backend' for HDPVR2 'tuners'. I have a total of 24 of these assigned in pairs to 12 MP servers (I use it to record classroom lectures). The MP portion is 100 solid, however occasionally an HDPVR 2 device will become non-responsive until I power-cycle it. I'm certain it's a hardware/USB issue because the other device on the same server continues working without a hitch.

I sure do wish we could get ArgusTV development restarted.

Griffo

Re: Fewer glitches when using MP as backend

Post by Griffo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:26 am

When scanning with MP, the options are very specific, down to selecting the specific transmitter (Crystal Palace which is the big one for London).
You can create your own XML file with the frequencies you want to include in the scans. It's dead simple, as long as you can find a list somewhere.
I do this to similarly ensure that I'm only tuning into the local DVB-T transmitter, and don't accidentally pick up (or waste time scanning) frequencies from adjacent transmitters.