HDHomeRun Setup Tips

Share your ARGUS TV tips & tricks here
pkscout

HDHomeRun Setup Tips

Post by pkscout » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 pm

This is mostly just to try and document in one place all the things I had to do to get ArgusTV to work correctly with my HDHomeRun. It took some significant Google-fu and a couple of hours, so hopefully this will save someone else some time. This assumes you are going to try and tune unencrypted QAM from a US cable provider, although I'll try and note what changes you might have to make if you are doing ATSC or are in a different country.

Card Settings
  • In the main list, set each of the three tuners INPUT to Cable. (if you are doing OTA in the US, choose antenna).
  • In the advanced settings for each card, check the box for RESET WHEN IDLE and change the WAIT FOR SERVICE PMT time to 20 seconds. You can experiment with shorter times, but I know that, for me at least, 10 seconds wasn't enough, and I was too tired to try by little increments. '-)
Windows Firewall Changes
  • You need to allow ArgusTV.Recorder.Cardhost.exe to have full access (incoming and outgoing) through the Windows Firewall. (I'll get the exact location of this file when I get home)
Scan Setting
  • This might be specific to the US, or even to Hawaii, but for me the only way I could get a scan done was to select QAM (IRC) as the scan type. Any other option resulted in no services being found.
I hope this helps someone avoid the hours of head banging I did getting the HDHomeRun working.

andrewNZ

Re: HDHomeRun Setup Tips

Post by andrewNZ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:27 am

Thanks for the info. As this kind of thing really belongs in the wiki, I've added it into a new page for HDHR cards.
http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php?title=HDHomeRun

If you are going to change or add more info, it would be great if you could add it to the wiki instead. But if you really don't want to, here is OK too ;)
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

pkscout

Post by pkscout » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:54 am

I'd be happy to update it in the wiki. No sense in me editing it here just so you can copy and paste it someplace else. '-)

pkscout

Post by pkscout » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 am

OK, I made the edits. I went ahead and rearranged things into a more logical order and added some better instructions.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 pm

I was tinkering with the idea of setting up a second hdhomerun device. Would Argus TV server be able to pool multiple tuners?

Kay Diefenthal

Post by Kay Diefenthal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 pm

with normal tuners work it

but i doesnt know if it the same with the HDHomeRuns

pkscout

Post by pkscout » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:06 pm

I haven't tried, but it should. ArgusTV sees the HDHomeRun as a tuner card with two tuners (with the HDDual) or three tuners (with the HDPrime). Adding another unit should be the same as adding another physical card to your machine.

Bozo

Post by Bozo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 pm

It does work, I have 2 HDDual (an antenna each). And it does work.

The only thing i'm missing (maybe i did not find it) is assigning tuner priority for a channel.

Aka, some channels are being cached by both antenna, but i would like to use antenna 1 (Tuner 1,2) before antenna 2(tuner 3,4).

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:36 am

It's good to know that two hdhomerun will work. Do you mean that potentially tuners 1,3 can record the same thing twice? I am guessing that I should be able to connect two hshomeruns to a single antenna. Thanks for the feedback.

pkscout

Post by pkscout » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Skippy wrote:It's good to know that two hdhomerun will work. Do you mean that potentially tuners 1,3 can record the same thing twice? I am guessing that I should be able to connect two hshomeruns to a single antenna. Thanks for the feedback.
I dont' think that's what he meant. What he was saying is that there isn't any way (at least easy way) to tell Argus to use a specific tuner if available for a specific channel. If you have 2 HDHomeRuns connected to the same antenna, Argus will pick one of them and record the show. It won't go to record the show, see it has two tuners that could tune it, and record it twice.

I hope that helps. Although as I read it back to myself, I fear it's still not clear. ;)