Streaming and Conflict managment.

Post your great ideas and suggestions here
kra

Streaming and Conflict managment.

Post by kra » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:47 pm

I must add this, because it's the only reason I'm currently not using 4tr/ArgusTV.

1. Intelligent conflict managment, live-tv vs recordings. Right now only option is to reverse tuner priority on live-tv, although it's helpfull a quality conflict managment would be so much better and reduce the need for many tuners (as one tuner often can do many channels at the same time as long as they are on the same transponder)

2. Streaming of live-tv (and recordings) via web or directly in a media player such as VLC.
the backend I'm currently using can start any channel just by typing in a http adress in vlc (ex: http://myip:backendport/live?channel=1) and VLC will start streaming that channel, this is awesome, I have access to my tv channels from anywhere all the time. Even better though is with a transcoding tag, where it transcode to your needs. Fortunatly my internet connection has no problems with full quality, but my mobile phone has some problems.

Dragy

Re: Streaming and Conflict managment.

Post by Dragy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Yes indeed, the first is also very important for me! Here a conversation with dot-i in the past:
dot-i wrote:
Dragy wrote:Works good so far :) I have still some comments about the web interface, but I will come back on that later.

I'm wondering, have you planned to finish this in the 1.7 release? (see quote)
dot-i wrote:It's impossible to do card selection only at recording time and have such a good priority/conflict system like For The Record has :)

But, that doesn't mean we couldn't improve things. If the available cards allow for it, we could improve the system and adjust the card selection just before a recording starts, trying to avoid an active live stream.

Consider it on the TODO list...
http://www.4therecord.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2493

That's way more important then the web interface I think :)
Unfortunately this is too complex and tricky to try and fix so close to the release, hope you can understand that. So once 1.7 goes public, don't hesitate to bring this back up as one of the things to work on in the next BETA after that :)
Am I spamming about this? :oops:
Always using the latest BETA/RC version (when available) in combination with MediaPortal and his TV Server.

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 pm

When it's people you "know", it's called nagging :D
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

kra

Post by kra » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Yeah, I read about it on the "old" forum. I hope we will see a roadmap for ArgusTV.

The request for Live-TV streaming I've also put forward on the old forum, but I don't think there ever was a clear answer. The fact that managment console can launch VLC for live-tv makes me think web-interface could do the same.

russcasey

Post by russcasey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 am

kra wrote:Yeah, I read about it on the "old" forum. I hope we will see a roadmap for ArgusTV.

The request for Live-TV streaming I've also put forward on the old forum, but I don't think there ever was a clear answer. The fact that managment console can launch VLC for live-tv makes me think web-interface could do the same.

VLC is no good on a tablet or chromebook. The video needs to be transcoded from mpeg2 into h.264 or mpeg4 to work in most browsers without extra client end software.

kra

Post by kra » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:31 am

VLC is actually available for Android now. But I agree transcoding would be nice, but I don't want to wait for transcoding. If there is a easy solution to provide the same data you get via console vlc streaming also via web I'm very happy with that for now. As for Apple, I don't know if VLC is available, my guess it's not - go nag Apple about it, I hate my IPAD.

x-cimo

Post by x-cimo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:51 pm

I agree with KRA, thoses are the 2 features I would like the most to see implemented.

The web streaming without transcoding (for now) would be a big (and should be relatively simple). I would use this to stream live TV on various computers within my home network.

Thing to be added later to it could be transcoding for mobile device support, and recording playback / timeshifting.

The tuner management don't affect me that much right now because I have 4 tuners and a single tv on it, however I am planning to start adding many TV on the setup with RaspberryPi (XBMC) and TV in my house tend to be open on the same channel, I think I will start running into problem when using 2-3 TVs.

steford

Post by steford » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:19 pm

I'd like to add my thoughts to tuner priority. As posted elsewhere if I merge an SD and HD channel as I like to do and then prioritise my HD tuner all is well. If an SD channel is recording though and then a 2nd programme on an SD/HD channel on the same transponder starts then that tuner is prioritised and I get the SD version despite the HD tuner being free.

Some way of prioritising a tuner per channel instead of default or forcing a channel to always use default order rather than most efficient would be welcome.

Thanks.