recording on same transponder create conflict

In the unlikely ;) event you encounter a bug, tell us here
Hominidae

Re: recording on same transponder create conflict

Post by Hominidae » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:02 am

andrewNZ wrote:I may be talking out my backside here, but I'll go ahead and try to embarrass myself anyway :D

I thought that the reason for scanned frequencies not matching "real" frequencies, was due to the differences in cards and equipment. A slight variation in components will lead to a slight variation in the settings required to achieve an "actual" frequency. So although the card *thinks* it's tuned to x.73 it's actually tuned to x.5.
Yes, I think you are right.
There is no 100% accuracy in these (cheap) technical tuner chips.
AFAIK the allowed range in the De-Modulator of a tuner is 5MHz.
So it will tune to the advertised frequency and will find a lock within that range - if signal quality is sufficient - as a positive lock.
In my case above, the offset reported is only 0.25MHz...so technically well within range.
However, computers are "idots" when comparing numbers for being equal ;)

Hominidae

Re: recording on same transponder create conflict

Post by Hominidae » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:05 am

Christoph21x wrote:Just my two pennies: I thought that this is due to a slight difference in situation whilst getting & locking the best freq. ("local optimum")...
You also have a point as signal from the satellite also comes with a certain technical accuracy for the frequency.
And local weather conditions and signal to noise ratio might add to that effect as well.