ArgusTVScheduler service crashing on resume from sleep

In the unlikely ;) event you encounter a bug, tell us here
SQLDBA

ArgusTVScheduler service crashing on resume from sleep

Post by SQLDBA » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Running ArgusTV 2.2.1 on Windows 8, all current OS patches available applied and running on the balanced power plan, and I'm getting an error with the scheduler service almost consistently when resuming from sleep on demand. The errors in the Windows Event Log are:

Code: Select all

System.ServiceModel.AddressAlreadyInUseException: There is already a listener on IP endpoint 0.0.0.0:49942. This could happen if there is another application already listening on this endpoint or if you have multiple service endpoints in your service host with the same IP endpoint but with incompatible binding configurations. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SocketConnectionListener.Listen()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionAcceptor.StartAccepting()
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ExclusiveTcpTransportManager.OnOpen()
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManager.Open(TransportChannelListener channelListener)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManagerContainer.Open(SelectTransportManagersCallback selectTransportManagerCallback)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TcpChannelListener`2.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at ArgusTV.Scheduler.MainThread.OpenNewServiceHost(Type serviceType, Type interfaceType)
   at ArgusTV.Scheduler.MainThread.BootupArgusTV()
   at ArgusTV.Scheduler.MainThread.Run()
Followed by:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ArgusTV.Scheduler.MainThread.ShutdownArgusTV()
This matches what's in Scheduler.log:

2014-02-10 11:59:29,522 [DEBUG][1]: Calling OnPowerEvent(Suspend)...
2014-02-10 11:59:29,553 [INFO ][1]: System entering suspend state, shutting down core services.
2014-02-10 11:59:29,569 [INFO ][ARGUS TV]: Stopping service.
2014-02-10 11:59:32,683 [INFO ][ThumbnailCreator]: ThumbnailCreator thread ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:32,683 [INFO ][Update Check]: Update Check thread ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:32,683 [INFO ][EventSource]: EventSource thread ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:32,683 [INFO ][PostProcessing]: PostProcessing thread ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:32,683 [INFO ][LiveStreamAlive]: LiveStreamAlive thread ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:32,683 [INFO ][Mailer]: Mailer thread ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:32,683 [INFO ][Recordings Cleanup]: Recordings Cleanup thread ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:32,683 [INFO ][Recordings Scheduler]: Recordings Scheduler thread ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:32,683 [INFO ][XMLTV Import]: XMLTV Import thread ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:33,167 [INFO ][ARGUS TV]: Service ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:33,167 [INFO ][ARGUS TV]: ARGUS TV thread ended.
2014-02-10 11:59:33,167 [DEBUG][1]: System can now enter suspend state, core services have shut down.
2014-02-10 13:15:19,691 [DEBUG][1]: Calling OnPowerEvent(ResumeSuspend)...
2014-02-10 13:15:19,691 [INFO ][1]: System resumed from suspend state, restarting core services.
2014-02-10 13:15:19,691 [INFO ][ARGUS TV]: ARGUS TV version 2.2.1 main-thread started.
2014-02-10 13:15:19,691 [INFO ][ARGUS TV]: Starting service.
2014-02-10 13:15:19,691 [INFO ][ARGUS TV]: Ensuring database is up.
2014-02-10 13:15:28,370 [DEBUG][1]: Calling OnPowerEvent(ResumeAutomatic)...
2014-02-10 13:15:28,417 [INFO ][ARGUS TV]: Initializing configuration defaults.
2014-02-10 13:15:28,433 [INFO ][ARGUS TV]: Starting WCF service hosts.
2014-02-10 13:15:41,277 [ERROR][ARGUS TV]: System.ServiceModel.AddressAlreadyInUseException: There is already a listener on IP endpoint 0.0.0.0:49942. This could happen if there is another application already listening on this endpoint or if you have multiple service endpoints in your service host with the same IP endpoint but with incompatible binding configurations. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionAcceptor.StartAccepting()
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ExclusiveTcpTransportManager.OnOpen()
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManager.Open(TransportChannelListener channelListener)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManagerContainer.Open(SelectTransportManagersCallback selectTransportManagerCallback)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TcpChannelListener`2.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at ArgusTV.Scheduler.MainThread.OpenNewServiceHost(Type serviceType, Type interfaceType)
   at ArgusTV.Scheduler.MainThread.BootupArgusTV()
2014-02-10 13:15:41,324 [INFO ][ARGUS TV]: Stopping service.
2014-02-10 13:15:41,340 [ERROR][ARGUS TV]: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ArgusTV.Scheduler.MainThread.ShutdownArgusTV()
2014-02-10 13:15:41,340 [INFO ][ARGUS TV]: ARGUS TV thread ended.
I've had this problem off and on in the last 1-2 months and thought I had fixed it with a PowerShell script that simply restarted any ArgusTV services that were stopped, but now the only way I can get around this problem is a full reboot. As far as I can tell this does NOT happen when the scheduler service wakes the OS to begin a recording - this only happens when I wake the system with a key press or WOL packet.

After the error I fire up Resource Monitor but don't see anything listening on Port 49942. No matter how many times I restart the ArgusTV services after it happens the scheduler fails with the same error message and will not start up until I reboot.

Also, for reference I've got a SiliconDust HDHomeRun and have matched all config settings outlined on http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php?title=HDHomeRun.

Aside from disabling sleep, what other things should I look at to find what's causing the problem before resigning to the idea that this is a bug in ArgusTV? (And if it is a bug, any chance it's the same issue as http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9744 ... -using-wcf ?)

jeffski10

Re: ArgusTVScheduler service crashing on resume from sleep

Post by jeffski10 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:10 pm

I've had this issue for ages on Win7 and see exactly the same thing - if I wake the machine manually it may stop running but is fine if the timer wakes it although occasionally that is not true. In the end I have set up a task to run on resume to check if the service has stopped a couple of minutes after restart and then reboot if so. Seemed the only belt and braces way round missing recordings.

There are a few other posts on the subject.

Server: Windows 7, Argus recorder, Silicon Dust tuners
Clients: Openelec on a Pi and Gigabyte Brix

SQLDBA

Post by SQLDBA » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:14 am

jeffski10 wrote:I've had this issue for ages on Win7 and see exactly the same thing - if I wake the machine manually it may stop running but is fine if the timer wakes it although occasionally that is not true. In the end I have set up a task to run on resume to check if the service has stopped a couple of minutes after restart and then reboot if so. Seemed the only belt and braces way round missing recordings.
Having seen the other posts, along with what you and I are describing, I'm now wondering...is there anyone running ArgusTV with a sleep/resume setup that works perfectly every time?

In the meantime I've switched my power profile back to always on/never sleep. Hopefully there's an easy fix for this...

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:47 am

SQLDBA wrote:is there anyone running ArgusTV with a sleep/resume setup that works perfectly every time?
I am, although I'm not using windows power management to do it. I use Hibernate now because my hardware doesn't play nice with S3 sleep :(

I use Lights-Out and ARGUS TV to Lights-Out to manage my server uptime (both will work with Win7). Lights-Out actually allows you to specify services to stop/start on sleep/resume.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

PaulAEvans

Post by PaulAEvans » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 pm

I use Lights-Out and ARGUS TV to Lights-Out to manage my server uptime (both will work with Win7). Lights-Out actually allows you to specify services to stop/start on sleep/resume
I too am using Win7 with Lights-Out and ARGUS TV to Lights-Out, I have been having BSOD with standby and like Andrew I have reverted to Hibernate. Whilst trying to debug standby with this configuration I tried starting and stopping services before and after sleep. With Hibernate I am not start/stopping service... I am still in debugging stage.. so I am monitoring carefully. Andrew do you start/stop Argus services and or SQL?

When Looking in Win7 logs I do get
Event 7011 A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ArgusTVRecorder service.
I have also seen this

Log Name:      Application
Source:        ArgusTV
Date:          10/02/2014 22:51:17
Event ID:      0
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      ArgusServer-W7
Description:
System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/ArgusTV.Recorder.Card/42-00-54-B4-B1-C1-F6-44-9C-58-CA-C7-A9-51-9E-4C that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.IO.PipeException: The pipe endpoint 'net.pipe://localhost/ArgusTV.Recorder.Card/42-00-54-B4-B1-C1-F6-44-9C-58-CA-C7-A9-51-9E-4C' could not be found on your local machine. 

Server stack trace: 
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnectionInitiator.GetPipeName(Uri uri, IPipeTransportFactorySettings transportFactorySettings)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.NamedPipeConnectionPoolRegistry.NamedPipeConnectionPool.GetPoolKey(EndpointAddress address, Uri via)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationPool`2.TakeConnection(EndpointAddress address, Uri via, TimeSpan timeout, TKey& key)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOpenOnce.System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ICallOnce.Call(ServiceChannel channel, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOnceManager.CallOnce(TimeSpan timeout, CallOnceManager cascade)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at ArgusTV.Aspects.ServiceAgentMethod.HandleServiceException(IServiceAgentBase serviceAgent, Exception ex, Boolean& retry)
   at ArgusTV.Aspects.ServiceAgentMethod.OnInvoke(MethodInterceptionArgs eventArgs)
   at ArgusTV.Recorder.CardAgent.CardServiceAgent.StopLiveStreamIfNotKeptAlive(Guid cardStreamId)
   at ArgusTV.Recorder.Card.CardService.CheckLiveStreamKeptAlive(Object o)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="ArgusTV" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-02-10T22:51:17.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>51174</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>ArgusServer-W7</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/ArgusTV.Recorder.Card/42-00-54-B4-B1-C1-F6-44-9C-58-CA-C7-A9-51-9E-4C that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.IO.PipeException: The pipe endpoint 'net.pipe://localhost/ArgusTV.Recorder.Card/42-00-54-B4-B1-C1-F6-44-9C-58-CA-C7-A9-51-9E-4C' could not be found on your local machine. 

Server stack trace: 
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnectionInitiator.GetPipeName(Uri uri, IPipeTransportFactorySettings transportFactorySettings)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.NamedPipeConnectionPoolRegistry.NamedPipeConnectionPool.GetPoolKey(EndpointAddress address, Uri via)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationPool`2.TakeConnection(EndpointAddress address, Uri via, TimeSpan timeout, TKey& key)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOpenOnce.System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ICallOnce.Call(ServiceChannel channel, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOnceManager.CallOnce(TimeSpan timeout, CallOnceManager cascade)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at ArgusTV.Aspects.ServiceAgentMethod.HandleServiceException(IServiceAgentBase serviceAgent, Exception ex, Boolean& retry)
   at ArgusTV.Aspects.ServiceAgentMethod.OnInvoke(MethodInterceptionArgs eventArgs)
   at ArgusTV.Recorder.CardAgent.CardServiceAgent.StopLiveStreamIfNotKeptAlive(Guid cardStreamId)
   at ArgusTV.Recorder.Card.CardService.CheckLiveStreamKeptAlive(Object o)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Server: Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD3R Intel i7 Corsair 6GB;Os on Sandisk 128GB SSD; TBS 6984 QuadDVB-S2, Nova-DT Dual DVB-T, Win7 SP1, Argus 2.3, SQLExp 2012
Clients: 3x XBMC RaspPi;1x ASUS A8N-VM CSM AMD 4200+ 2GB RAM, Win7 SP1 MP1.6/XBMC,Argus 2.3

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 pm

PaulAEvans wrote:Andrew do you start/stop Argus services and or SQL?
Yes, I stop and start the Scheduler, Recorder, and MSSQL services.

As for your blue screens, they're almost always hardware or driver issues. The blue screen should tell you exactly what caused it. If you cant catch it, use a blue screen viewer to view them again.

If you can't find newer drivers for something, check out driverpacks.net. I used driverpacks based on a trusted recommendation and had good success finding newer drivers for several devices that "appeared" to have the latest.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

jeffski10

Post by jeffski10 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:59 pm

One thing I have found was that due to my sql server being remote, sometimes it would not connect quick enough. I worked out it was down to DNS and then changed to use IP instead of hostname. Since then the number of occurrences dropped significantly.

Jeff

Server: Windows 7, Argus recorder, Silicon Dust tuners
Clients: Openelec on a Pi and Gigabyte Brix

Hominidae

Post by Hominidae » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25 pm

SQLDBA wrote: Having seen the other posts, along with what you and I are describing, I'm now wondering...is there anyone running ArgusTV with a sleep/resume setup that works perfectly every time?
I cannot complain with my single-seat setup, running on a small
Celeron-847, 8GB RAM, Win7_64HP on a SATA-III SSD, MS-SQL and doing S3/suspend.
This box is headless, so I only use the Web-UI and WOL to wake it if
need be....never missed a recording AFAIK since one year so
far (only using OTA EPG from DVB-S(2)).

...not using lights-out, but observer to prevent sleep if load is high (i.e. when comskip runs).

PaulAEvans

Post by PaulAEvans » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:19 am

andrewNZ wrote: Yes, I stop and start the Scheduler, Recorder, and MSSQL services.

As for your blue screens, they're almost always hardware or driver issues. The blue screen should tell you exactly what caused it. If you cant catch it, use a blue screen viewer to view them again.

If you can't find newer drivers for something, check out driverpacks.net. I used driverpacks based on a trusted recommendation and had good success finding newer drivers for several devices that "appeared" to have the latest.
Thanks for these tips I will take a look over next week or so. On hibernate seems a little more stable. The blue screen viewer will be useful as the BSOD are nearly always part of sleep/resume process and so no screen output after crash! Needs a h/w reboot, so this tool should help.
Server: Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD3R Intel i7 Corsair 6GB;Os on Sandisk 128GB SSD; TBS 6984 QuadDVB-S2, Nova-DT Dual DVB-T, Win7 SP1, Argus 2.3, SQLExp 2012
Clients: 3x XBMC RaspPi;1x ASUS A8N-VM CSM AMD 4200+ 2GB RAM, Win7 SP1 MP1.6/XBMC,Argus 2.3

Luca Brasi

Post by Luca Brasi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi,

I just came here to write about the same or at least partially the same problems.
I had been running MP 1.5 and Argus 2.2 for quite some time with very few problems on Win8. Only some "tuning failed" once in a while...

Since I updated to MP1.6 and Argus 2.2.1 I've been getting a lot of "tuning failed" and as apparently you guys the message from MP that no service was listening on 49942. Everything is running fine right after boot up but as soon the machine has been to sleep the errors occur.

I have some of these in the event log

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7011</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-02-11T14:06:24.372100600Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>86685</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="620" ThreadID="10048" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>mmhtpc</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="param1">30000</Data> 
  <Data Name="param2">ArgusTVScheduler</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>
When errors occur the scheduler service seems to be running an a manual service restart will not help. I will have to restart the machine entirely.

Argus log doesn't show any errors though.

I uninstalled Argus and the SQL database complitely and had MP/TVSerivice handle things on its own for some days. Not one problem in this time.

As soon as I went back to Argus two days ago with a clean install the errors came back.
I think there is something wrong in Argus right now. My setup had never been shaky like that before.
If I can help by testing, creating clean setup of log or whatever, please let me know...
Attachments
Screenshot@mmignote 2014-02-12 16 44 36.jpg
Screenshot@mmignote 2014-02-12 16 44 36.jpg (13.15 KiB) Viewed 14650 times
HTPC: Win8.1Pro, Argus TV latest, MediaPortal 1.7, 1xFireDTV DVB-C, 2x Mystique Cabix DVB-C, 2xDigital Devices Cine Dvb-C