wiki Installation/Configuration section re-write attempt.

Discuss the ARGUS TV wiki here
andrewNZ

wiki Installation/Configuration section re-write attempt.

Post by andrewNZ » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:20 am

I have noticed that new users have been having trouble with out wiki, and in particular with installation and initial configuration. There is a lot of information but I don't think it's laid out well, and only ARGUS TV is covered. This is a particular issue when a user want's to use MediaPortal as a Recorder.

I have begun an attempt to rewrite/rearrange this section, and I'd welcome any feedback good or bad (you're even welcome to help :mrgreen:)

http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php? ... ation_MkII

I'd also like to add a MediaPortal TV Server page to the wiki. I don't currently have an install, so if someone want's to add some content...
http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php? ... _TV_Server
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

Hominidae

Re: wiki Installation/Configuration section re-write attempt

Post by Hominidae » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:41 pm

andrewNZ wrote:I have begun an attempt to rewrite/rearrange this section, and I'd welcome any feedback good or bad (you're even welcome to help :mrgreen:)

http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php? ... ation_MkII
Hi Andrew,

when reading through that list of topics, I *think* one can get easily confused about what options are out there, when to select which and then find the
right section of the wiki for this case.

Here are some examples of what I meant:

- the "single seat" install is mentioned in the first part (initial considerations), but not listed in the installation section.
- for the server/client model there are some hints that the recorder itself is another component that could be distributed/installed separately.
Again, this model then is split in the installation section.

In my opinion, there should be one clear name for each variant, a list of physical machines required and what software components
will be deployed on which "box" and what would be the Pros&Cons with that variant.
You could do that in a table in the initial considerations section as a starter.
Then provide a section for each variant with an install section for each software component or each physical box as a guide to be followed.

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:03 am

Good points, thanks for the feedback :)

I'll look at some more next week hopefully.

Do you think the rewrite is the right direction to take, or am I wasting my time?
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

Hominidae

Post by Hominidae » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:18 am

I think that you are right in the sense that the install process needs to be documented in a more streamlined fashion.
But I also think, that the information required is also already there. What it takes is rather a re-structuring than a re-write.

For example, the "Modules and Setup Types" Section already covers what I was referring to as missing or confusing in your MKII version.
However, it could do with a more simple version as it is a *lot* to read.
More pictures, tables and less text and a "klick-1,2,3,...finish" guide to follow.

1: "which setup type is yours?"
2: select your Type and collect the parts
3: install module/sub-part A,B, ...
4: test
5: voilá