...want to build a new ARGUSTV Server? Dell T20 is a bargain

Discuss anything off topic and not related to ARGUS TV here
Hominidae

...want to build a new ARGUSTV Server? Dell T20 is a bargain

Post by Hominidae » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:54 am

..for those of you, looking to build a new ARGUSTV server or upgrading the existing one.

There currently is a real Server Model from Dell on sale in Europe.
The Dell Poweregde T20, including 4GB ECC-RAM and a powerful Socket-1150 (Haswell) Pentium-G...available from 169EUR incl. VAT.
This is including CPU, 4GB RAM, case, PSU and 2yr on-site-service from Dell.

The T20 will hold up to 4x3.5" disks and can accommodate an additional 2x2.5" disks (when adding a 2-Port SATA card).

Some folks in other forums measured the performance and power consumption.
It will, with Win8.1pro and all drivers installed, idle at a low 11W (2 RAM modules and system SSD)...and it does support WOL.

This thing is a bargain and hard to beat feature-wise.
Add a SSD for system and 3x4TB drives for recordings plus your DVB tuners of choice to get your ARGUSTV server running.

JoeSmith

Re: ...want to build a new ARGUSTV Server? Dell T20 is a bar

Post by JoeSmith » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:27 pm

got a T20 with the xeon e3-1225v3, 4GB ecc, 1TB for 269€. For that price its a killer machine.

RedRat

Re: ...want to build a new ARGUSTV Server? Dell T20 is a bar

Post by RedRat » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:28 am

Hi,

i just wanted to share my experiences with the DELL T-20. I ordered it with the Pentium G3220 and 4 GB.

Put in a HD installed WIN 7 ,Argus TV, and a Hauppauge PCI SAT card . System crashed occasionally. :-(

Contacted Dell support. They brushed me off for using Win 7 . It is not supported they said ! So much for the 24 hour service !

I contacted the dealer (Cyberport). The exchanged the Dell T-20 in just 2 days. Fine !

So start over. Now ,system was stable and running. After that i changed the satcard to a TBS 6981 PCIe. Now the trouble started. It was not possible to use the system when watching scrambled programs. I used MDAPI Plus and Acamd. The stream was distorted frequently every 5 to 10 seconds.

After a few days a changed back to the Hauppauge PCI card. Everthing ran fine ! wtf ???? . My plan was to use 2 TBS 6981 cards.

I started googling and found some threads were it was stated that some Dell Servers have trouble to use PCIe cards which use the Version 1 of PCIe protocol.
The error is around for about 3 years and Dell is doing nothing.

Changed the system to a old gigabyte AM2 board with a x2 240e processor. Now everthing works as it should.

The dell server sits in the closet waiting !

Regards Alexander