Suggestions and Alerts?

Full administration access to your ARGUS TV system
sgibbers17

Suggestions and Alerts?

Post by sgibbers17 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Does the suggestions tab in the schedule console need to be setup for it to work? I have been using argus tv for a couple of months now and have over 20 series recording setup and I have no suggestions.

Also what is the alerts for? I thought it would be for letting you know if you don't have a free tuner or if there there are too many shows scheduled to record at once. But when I run into these situations they are not in the alerts sections. They are in the upcoming recording with a red x through a grey circle. And when I investigate the software tells me that it is because there is no free tuner or there is something else already recording.

andrewNZ

Re: Suggestions and Alerts?

Post by andrewNZ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 am

You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

sgibbers17

Post by sgibbers17 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:34 pm

Yeah that was the first place I looked for answers but it is not very detailed about suggestions or alerts other than that there is a section for them in the scheduler.
Suggestions
Suggestions are programs the user may be interested in, their purpose is primarily to draw the users attention. Suggestions are displayed as normal, with a green ticked circle icon.
Alerts
Alerts are similar to suggestions, but are shaded yellow and have a yellow alert triangle icon. If the client software supports it, ARGUS TV can display a popup window asking the user wants to switch channels, and view the program.
Creating schedules
The process for creating schedules is essentially the same for Recordings, Suggestions & Alerts, this guide will cover recordings.
Exporting
At some point you may wish to export your schedules.
To do this, open the appropriate screen (Recordings, Suggestions or Alerts) select the schedules you wish to export, and click the "Export" button in the bottom right corner of the window and pollow the prompts.
That is all the wiki says about alerts or suggestions. My question is how to get suggestions because I am not getting any and things that I would expect to get alerts for, like shows not being able to record because there is another show that is also scheduled to be recorded at the same time, are not showing up in the alerts sections they show up in the upcoming recordings as a cancelled show.

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 am

You create them yourself just like you do recording schedules.

I may have to make that more clear in the wiki.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:44 pm

You should see Suggestions in your EPG if there´s a hit: green ball with ok sign
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

sgibbers17

Post by sgibbers17 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:25 pm

andrewNZ wrote:You create them yourself just like you do recording schedules.

I may have to make that more clear in the wiki.
Why would I create my own suggestions that makes no sense. Hey self you may like this show why don't you record it. Oh hi self good idea I'll set it to record.

A suggestion should point out shows that you would have not even thought of watching other wise. It should say you are currently watching/recording show x, y, and z maybe you would like shows a, b, and c

If I am the one that creates the suggestions they are really more of a reminder to watch or record a show than a suggestion.

Caesium

Post by Caesium » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:12 pm

To a point I agree Suggestions have little use and I've never done anything with them myself. Alerts have some use as they can pop up a box to remind you about it, as was mentioned further up.

As far as I know the MediaPortal plugin doesn't even do anything with Suggestions at all (and if it did, what would it be? just pop up a box? then they're basically Alerts).

What you're proposing though is something completely new, a kind of tivo system, which Argus currently just simply doesn't do, it would have to be started from scratch - throw it at dot-i as a feature request :)

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:59 am

Hi sgibbers!
I´m having roughly 150 suggestion plans. They´re not pointing at dedicated shows, that I know, I want to record (indeed, I then create a recording schedule) but to (sets of) categories, directors or actors, or to the start of a new series. Then those will be highlighted in the EPG and attract my attention when browsing through. These are in fact quite complex seggestion schedules, but I basically never have to change them.
I personally like this feature. But I never found out, what alarms are for... :)
Greetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:22 am

andrewNZ wrote: I may have to make that more clear in the wiki.
Made a small expansion of the Suggestion paragraph in the Wiki

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:25 am

Caesium wrote:(...)
Alerts have some use as they can pop up a box to remind you about it, as was mentioned further up.

As far as I know the MediaPortal plugin doesn't even do anything with Suggestions at all (and if it did, what would it be? just pop up a box? then they're basically Alerts).
Does anybody know, which system is supporting this Alert functionality with popups?
Caesium wrote:What you're proposing though is something completely new, a kind of tivo system, which Argus currently just simply doesn't do, it would have to be started from scratch - throw it at dot-i as a feature request :)
Hi Caesium - could you shortly explain to me, what a tivo system is, pls?