Streaming to Boxee (that has Kodi)

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using Kodi or XBMC (http://kodi.tv/)
realdiehl

Streaming to Boxee (that has Kodi)

Post by realdiehl » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:05 am

Hey all,

I'm a former WMC user with Kodi. I loved using that service, but we recently lost all guide data in our area. While there are ways I could probably make it work, I figured I'd be trying to "make it work" for the next several years as they keep shutting down areas of the service. I attempted using MediaPortal but got frustrated by a few limitations. This has led me to Argus.

So far, I'm loving Argus, but I'm having one main issue. Most of my TV's are connected with a Boxee box running Kodi 14.2. When running mediaportal, there was an option to change the streaming method to ffmpeg. When I changed it to this, the LiveTV worked flawlessly. Leaving it as TSReader caused issues (and in most cases, no video and studdering audio).

Since the recordings and the live tv in Argus both rely on TS files, I'm getting no video and studdering audio on my Boxee Boxes. Is there a way to change the streaming method to ffmpeg on Argus (or on the Kodi client for Argus)?

Thank you to you all for any help you can provide!

Kurt

Christoph21x

Re: Streaming to Boxee (that has Kodi)

Post by Christoph21x » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:47 am

Dear Kurt

I remember, some years ago, I had a simular issue on OpenELEC clients and slower machines.
Actually, I don´t believe it solves your issues, but I managed to get rid of stuttering by adding this to the advancedsettings.xml in Kodis userdata:

Code: Select all

<pvr>
		<minaudiocachelevel>25</minaudiocachelevel>
	</pvr>
On one client with a weak performance, I also reduced the screen resolution within Kodi to 720p (screen resolution is higher, but actually, not needed in my environment).
But try it with the first measure first, please.

Argus is not supporting ffmpeg routing out of the box, but we have some very bright heads in here... sometimes I think, they can make everything to Gold, so maybe someone else... :)

Kind Greetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

realdiehl

Re: Streaming to Boxee (that has Kodi)

Post by realdiehl » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Christoph21x wrote:Dear Kurt

I remember, some years ago, I had a simular issue on OpenELEC clients and slower machines.
Actually, I don´t believe it solves your issues, but I managed to get rid of stuttering by adding this to the advancedsettings.xml in Kodis userdata:

Code: Select all

<pvr>
		<minaudiocachelevel>25</minaudiocachelevel>
	</pvr>
On one client with a weak performance, I also reduced the screen resolution within Kodi to 720p (screen resolution is higher, but actually, not needed in my environment).
But try it with the first measure first, please.

Argus is not supporting ffmpeg routing out of the box, but we have some very bright heads in here... sometimes I think, they can make everything to Gold, so maybe someone else... :)

Kind Greetz - Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for the quick response! I added those lines to the advancedsettings.xml file, but unfortunately I don't see any difference. The response I get is: it takes about 5-10 seconds to load a channel (I'm ok with this); it starts to play smooth audio, but after about 5 seconds the audio stutters; during this time, the screen stays fixed on the Kodi menu and there is no actual video of what I am watching. I've tried backing out to the main menu to see if I could see video playing there, but nothing shows.

I will say that this is the same result that I was having with Mediaportal too until I switched the option to play with ffmpeg. The video and audio worked perfectly after that.

I hope that extra detail helps. Even though your suggestion didn't work, I really appreciate your help! Thank you!

Kurt