SchedulesDirect JSON client

Other clients written by the community
geoffstewart

Re: SchedulesDirect JSON client

Post by geoffstewart » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:09 pm

wayloncovil wrote:I setup a task to run everyday at 4 AM to update the guide with the following criteria:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ARGUS TV\Guide Importer\ArgusTV.GuideImporter.exe"
And the "Add arguments" option:
plugin=SchedulesDirectJSONService mode=quiet

I noticed that the GuideImporter.log doesn't update when the task scheduler kicks off the guide importer.

I did check the general log in the Argus TV scheduler program and it does say that at ~4 AM the guide importer started and that at ~4:08 AM the guide importer stopped.

That's about the right amount of time for it to run.

I'm unsure if the guide was actually updated. Any way to check?

It would be nice if the GuideImporter.log would have the detailed items. Any switch I could use to update the log?

Thanks!
Hmmm, I see stuff in GuideImporter.log... I'll have a look

wayloncovil

Thank You, geoffstewart!

Post by wayloncovil » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:44 pm

geoffstewart,

I want to thank you for all of your great work on the guide importer.

Working on an OpenSource project can become a thankless job sometimes. You're doing coding for this project because you believe in it. And many times all you hear from others are the things that are wrong with what you've done.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we really do appreciate your efforts.

Thank you.

Frankly, it's because of the Argus TV project that I have made a commitment to learn how to code. I want to help.

Would you be willing to post your code so I can have a look at it and maybe learn something?

Thanks!

sgibbers17

Post by sgibbers17 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:29 am

What would be really great is if this could be integrated into the scheduling console with the next argus TV update instead of a separate program that needs to be run with windows scheduled tasks.

geoffstewart

Post by geoffstewart » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:07 am

Hi all,

I've put the latest code into github in a forked repo of the Argus-TV stuff... check it out here:

https://github.com/geoffstewart/ARGUS-T ... SONService

Feel free to contribute... once we get something more stable, I can do a pull request to dot-i to have it included in the main application.

@sgibbers17 I don't think this will ever happen the way you suggested... the guide updates need to happen on a regular basis... using the scheduler console would mean it only updates when someone opens the console. MediaPortal has a background task controlled by the server... that could work too, but I kinda like the explicit control you get by setting up your own schedule.

sgibbers17

Post by sgibbers17 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:31 am

geoffstewart wrote:Hi all,

I've put the latest code into github in a forked repo of the Argus-TV stuff... check it out here:

Feel free to contribute... once we get something more stable, I can do a pull request to dot-i to have it included in the main application.

@sgibbers17 I don't think this will ever happen the way you suggested... the guide updates need to happen on a regular basis... using the scheduler console would mean it only updates when someone opens the console. MediaPortal has a background task controlled by the server... that could work too, but I kinda like the explicit control you get by setting up your own schedule.
Argus is able to record shows without the someone opening the schedule or recorder console why couldn't the guide importer work also in the background? Other Tuner software has had build in guide importers like BeyondTV, Windows MCE, and Media Portal's recording server, none have the recording and scheduling capabilities of Argus yet still have built in guide importers. MP even uses Schedules Direct as one of the possible places to get a guide. I believe that Argus TV is the best tuner software out there at the moment and one of the biggest hurdles was finding a guide that correctly identified season and episode numbers which before this plugin was created I went through multiple programs and finally settled on Webgrab+plus with TVguide.com as a grab site. Webgrab+plus worked great but was not easy to setup by editing .XML files, now this JSON plugin has made getting correct season and episode numbers much easier but would be much easier if it was integrated into the rest of argus like other more inferior tuner software.

geoffstewart

Post by geoffstewart » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:34 am

sgibbers17 wrote:
geoffstewart wrote:Hi all,

Argus is able to record shows without the someone opening the schedule or recorder console why couldn't the guide importer work also in the background? Other Tuner software has had build in guide importers like BeyondTV, Windows MCE, and Media Portal's recording server, none have the recording and scheduling capabilities of Argus yet still have built in guide importers. MP even uses Schedules Direct as one of the possible places to get a guide. I believe that Argus TV is the best tuner software out there at the moment and one of the biggest hurdles was finding a guide that correctly identified season and episode numbers which before this plugin was created I went through multiple programs and finally settled on Webgrab+plus with TVguide.com as a grab site. Webgrab+plus worked great but was not easy to setup by editing .XML files, now this JSON plugin has made getting correct season and episode numbers much easier but would be much easier if it was integrated into the rest of argus like other more inferior tuner software.
Yep, I've written parts of the SD plug in in media portal... And my opinion is that it's better this way... But I get why you want it the other way.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

sgibbers17

Post by sgibbers17 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:47 am

Just out of curiosity why do you prefer it the current way? I always wondered why Argus was by far the hardest to setup compared to the other software I have tried over the years (BeyondTV, mythTV, sageTV, Media Portal, Windows MCE, winTV, ect.) All of witch where pretty much plug'n'play and the only real difference I can really see is the scheduling capabilities.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

geoffstewart

Post by geoffstewart » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:49 am

I like to explicitly know when the guide data is retrieved... Might be just me

sgibbers17

Post by sgibbers17 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:58 am

geoffstewart wrote:I like to explicitly know when the guide data is retrieved... Might be just me

Do you mean you manually tell it to grab the data or do you use windows scheduled tasks? I currently scheduled tasks to run once a day.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

geoffstewart

Post by geoffstewart » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:58 am

Scheduled task