Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio Stream doesn't get recorded

The built-in ARGUS TV recorder for digital TV
rudig

Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio Stream doesn't get recorded

Post by rudig » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:49 pm

The bottom picture shows that stream ac3 5.1 was recorded right? Can you select this stream while playing the stream?

Hominidae

Post by Hominidae » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:48 pm

rudig wrote:The bottom picture shows that stream ac3 5.1 was recorded right? Can you select this stream while playing the stream?
Yes, all audio streams are selectable from within my player (Openelec/XBMC).

rudig

Post by rudig » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:08 pm

But the topic is that 5.1 doesn't record succesfully?????

What am I missing?

Hominidae

Post by Hominidae » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:30 pm

rudig wrote:But the topic is that 5.1 doesn't record succesfully?????

What am I missing?
Well, the OP claims that this might be a ARGUDTV recorder feature or bug, as he/she cannot record the 5.1 streams successfully....always.
I simply tried to show that this is not the case in general...must be a problem with the OP setup/system hence.
Something outside of ARGUSTV would be my guess, as there is no control of what goes into the recording from within ARGUS.
It will always record the full TS stream ...my suggestion is to look into the drivers or the combination thereof, as the OP runs a CAM.

rudig

Post by rudig » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Sorry for being slow in understanding.

For a while one channel recorded audio on a not default channel for mediaportal, which made that i needed to switch to different audio stream when watching.

Seems the same here, mediaportal doesn't default play the highest quality stream as it seams, is that correct?

Hominidae

Post by Hominidae » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:53 pm

rudig wrote:Sorry for being slow in understanding.

For a while one channel recorded audio on a not default channel for mediaportal, which made that i needed to switch to different audio stream when watching.

Seems the same here, mediaportal doesn't default play the highest quality stream as it seams, is that correct?
Sorry, I don't use MP at all.
AFAIU thie original issue is about the recording not even containing the stream, although transmitted by the programme OTA.

Isias

Post by Isias » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:27 pm

I used MP and i'm not sure if i didn't have that problem back those days. I switched to Argus TV and deinstalled MP because i prefer the was Argus TV works.

The problem is, the 5.1 ac3 Dolby Digital audio stream that is broadcasted sometimes ends up as 2.0 recording. I always end up having an ac3 audio signal. But sometimes it is 5.1, sometimes 2.0.

Drivers and firmware of the cards are up to date. I just checked. The problem persists with Argus TV 2.2.1.

As i'm not using any "Live view" software on my pc here, i can't say that wether if it is selectable during the broadcast. I verify that the signal that is broadcasted is 5.1 ac3 via my (standalone) tv. To me, sometimes it looks like that if the recording starts during a show only being broadcasted in 2.0 the recorder or the card doesn't "realize" that the new show gets broadcasted in 5.1.

Chances i do catch the 5.1 stream and not end up with a 2.0 seems to be slightly higher on pay tv recordings than on FTA. So i doubt it is a CAM issue?

Btw., the movie "Dredd" i mentioned in the opening post was broadcasted again yesterday on the same channel on sky and this time, i did catch a 5.1 audio stream. So, although the broadcasts where identical considering the PID's and the transmitted way / data, sometimes it catches the 5.1, sometimes it doesn't.

It's rather random... :- (

rudig

Post by rudig » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Are you sure that don't get both 2.0 and 5.1 but that your player doesnt't default to 5.1?

Isias

Post by Isias » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Yes. You can verify for yourself that 5.1 is not present by looking at the picuters of the recorded stream in avidemux.