TS file split into two parts

The built-in ARGUS TV recorder for digital TV
Vertigo

TS file split into two parts

Post by Vertigo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:26 am

Been doing some test recordings and, on just a couple of them, the programme has been split into two parts. There are two TS files and two thumbnail files.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be?

Vertigo

Re: TS file split into two parts

Post by Vertigo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:39 am

Just checked and there's just over two minutes of the programme missing between the TS files, if that helps at all.

jeffski10

Post by jeffski10 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Is anything shown in the log? This sounds like something is interrupting the recorder and then it restarts so you get a second file.

Server: Windows 7, Argus recorder, Silicon Dust tuners
Clients: Openelec on a Pi and Gigabyte Brix

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. No, nothing in the log to indicate the disruption - yes it does look like the recorder is failing and then restarting, I just can't figure out why as everything else works fine and the signal is nice and strong.

One thing I have noticed is that it's only happened (so far) on HD channels. Just been sitting watching one of them and it does "glitch" every now and then, pixellating for a split second or with vertical bars of colour for half a second or so. Now I'm not sure whether this is indicative of the problem which causes the recorder to stop and start again, nor what's causing it.

The signal is fine. It's all running on my server now but, before that, I was running on my local PC and I didn't have these glitches at all. I've simply moved everything to the server and it's the same tuner card model. I've disconnected the aerial from my PC so it still has the same "load" on it. I was wondering if it could be something to do with disk bandwidth but the data rate is pretty low really.

jeffski10

Post by jeffski10 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:33 pm

One thing I had in the past was issues with HD only recording direct to a network drive. If I recorded locally it was fine. Any glitch on the signal or capacity to write to disk and it would fail to record.

Server: Windows 7, Argus recorder, Silicon Dust tuners
Clients: Openelec on a Pi and Gigabyte Brix

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Can imagine but my drive is local.

Everything would suggest a signal issue but I've just disconnected the server and reconnected my machine and it's flawless. This is with the same model tuner card off the same aerial. If anything the signal has a slightly longer route to my machine.

Just trying to fathom what else could be causing the intermittent break-up of the image, as I suspect that's the same thing causing the recorder to bug out and split files.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Think what I might do is record some stuff on each machine and then move it to the other and watch it from there, i.e. separate record & playback. If the problem moves with the recording then it's the recorder side that's causing the issues, if it stays on the server then it's obviously playback-related. Process of elimination.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Right, it's not the recorder I don't think. I just set the server recording something (Rugby on ITV1 HD) whilst watching it at the same time. Noted a few places where it glitched and then fished the recorded TS file off the server and watched it in VLC - no glitching at all.

So it's recording it fine, it seems to be playback that's the problem.

First issue is this doesn't really explain my original problem of the split files. I was assuming the glitching was related but, as this appears to be playback rather than recorder related, that looks like a false assumption now.

Second issue is what's going on with playback. I suspect it's network related but I don't see why this should be the case as my local network is all gigabit ethernet and should have more than enough bandwidth. If I was saturating it with a massive file copy then I'd expect some disruption but not in general use. Not sure if there's some way of reserving bandwidth for Argus/Kodi but that's not for this sub-forum.