Recorded TV Playback

Use MediaPortal TV Server to tune and record analog or digital TV
sccrgoalie1

Recorded TV Playback

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi All,

First I want to say thanks to everyone for this great product. It's a great application! Now I have a question, I'm using the latest Media Portal Client and having a problem when playing back recorded tv. After reviewing the Media Portal log and changing some Argus-TV settings I've confirmed where the problem lies. When I start to playback a recording it always jumps into the show. It seems the Media Portal client is configured to jump the pre recording buffer by default. Is there a way to turn this off? I confirmed this by changing my pre-record buffer and sure enough when I changed it from 2 to 4 minutes the jump that is shown in the log changes from 2 to 4 minutes. Thanks for any help you can provide!

andrewNZ

Re: Recorded TV Playback

Post by andrewNZ » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:27 pm

This is indeed expected behaviour. The buffers are only supposed to be insurance so you don't miss the beginning or end of a show. Normally the playback should begin at or near the beginning of the show.

If your shows are starting too far in, I'd suggest there is a discrepancy between the PC time and the EPG time on the machine running the scheduler.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:11 pm

I suspect you're right, this is the conclusion I came to today. I've added a time sync tool to my system to see if this resolves this issue.

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:19 am

I'm not convinced I was clear, so I'll rephrase what I wrote just incase.

I'm saying that the time on the PC running the Scheduler service probably doesn't match the time the broadcast provider is using, so recordings are actually starting late.

If there was no pre-record, you'd be missing the beginning of shows.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Yup that was correct. I added a tool to sync my time more often and now everything is working perfectly. When I start playback it right at the beginning of the show. Thanks!