Could Argus obtain EPG from SKY Epg radio channel?

Discuss XMLTV grabbers or get help with XMLTV grabbing here
elsmandino

Could Argus obtain EPG from SKY Epg radio channel?

Post by elsmandino » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi,

I am currently using EPG Collector to pull in the EPG for all the channels that I cannot get via the Radio Times XMLTV Grabber.

I noticed that in addition to the Freesat EPG Radio channel (which I used to use), I also have the equivalent Sky version.

I experimented trying to grab from this channel instead but got nothing - is there any particular reason why Argus does not grab in the way that it does with the Freesat EPG Channel?

Christoph21x

Re: Could Argus obtain EPG from SKY Epg radio channel?

Post by Christoph21x » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi elsmandino
The most probable reason is, that the channel doesn´t broadcast DVB-EPG. In fact, only a few radio channel broadcast it. Here maybe 8 out of (selected) 20.
It generally works, but it´s dependig on the channel/service
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

Benoire

Post by Benoire » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Sky uses a proprietary encoding method and middleware known as opentv which argus does not support yet. If dot-i can implement plug ins in recorder then I can port the media portal sky work across.

elsmandino

Post by elsmandino » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Thanks for that - so it is a fundamental difference that is preventing the Sky grabbing.

It is very encouraging that you can confirm that it is certainly possible and would be a great addition to to Argus - EPG Collector is a great program but I would prefer to limit the number of separate/external programs I have running on my server wherever possible.

Benoire

Post by Benoire » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Indeed its possible, we are using a similar method to EPGC in mediaportal at the moment to achieve the same results, except that we can make the tvengine act like an STB with automatic channel scanning, grouping etc. I'd really like to use this on Argus as I prefer this to TVE3 but the code is quite tight around FTA work and it is too much for me to shoe horn in the code. If a plugin section, like in MP, can be implemented then we can make plugins for MHEG5, OpenTV, MH2 etc without any issues.