ARGUS TV to Lights-Out for Windows / Windows Server

Christoph21x

Re: ARGUS TV to Lights-Out for Windows / Windows Server

Post by Christoph21x » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:51 pm

As I thought.. Win Server Functions, that I don´t know of - except that they´re subjected to very strict rules. Related to configuration - that ¨we Win user¨ don´t have. And that I can´t test.
Have to talk to jay... as I can´t take over this...as such.
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

jayrock

Post by jayrock » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:54 am

There are Dashboard and Installer log files somewhere, maybe Programm Files\Microsoft\Windows Server. They will tell you what's going on.

Chris, did you target x64? It took me weeks to find out that Windows Server rejects x86 executables. IIRC the error message was similar.

Cheers,

jayrock
Last edited by jayrock on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:29 am

jayrock wrote:There are Dachboden and Installed files somewhere, maybe Programm Files\Microsoft\Windows Server. They will tell you what's going on.

Chris, did you tablet x64? It took me weeks to find out that Windows Server rejects x86 executables. IIRC the error message was similar.

Cheers,

jayrock
There are Dachboden? ;)
Yepp 64 bit.
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:27 am

If I had to guess, I'd say its dashboard files
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:39 am

andrewNZ wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say its dashboard files
I know about the issues you showed, yes control box of dashboard.
But I nearly can´t be able to find the issue on installation, but I´ll try - weather is just too nice now :)
Would you be willing to test, Andrew? But that can´t be a long-term solution. At least not with me. We can setup together with jay the full ATV 2.3 compliance ATV2LO, but beyond I´ll only be able to support normal service executables, not for Win Server & WHS. But in fact they do run also on WHS... they should, at least.

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:30 am

I just checked ATV2LO again, knowing it wouldn't be running. This time I noticed the service was listed as "stopping" and the process was using about 153MB of memory.

I'll add the service to the LightsOut list and see what happens.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

jayrock

Post by jayrock » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:38 am

andrewNZ wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say its dashboard files
Uh, spellchecker, or rather, misconfiguratio in SwiftKey. Sorry. I'll fix the post.

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:25 pm

andrewNZ wrote:I just checked ATV2LO again, knowing it wouldn't be running. This time I noticed the service was listed as "stopping" and the process was using about 153MB of memory.

I'll add the service to the LightsOut list and see what happens.
Thanks a lot, Andrew, for helping. I assume the error was happening with 3.0.0.9?
1. Would you be willing to try 3.0.0.8 again without terminating the service from within LO? I guess, there are memory leaks within this alreday from commenting out when bumping to 2.3 for the first time and deactivating Event-Hooks. Could be that the memory is allocated but not freed again (commented out), saw these days at least one occurency.
2. Do you till have the last (50?) lines of ATV2LO-logs?
3. is there an eventvwr entry related to this?

Thanks again & greetz - Chris

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:48 pm

andrewNZ wrote: Another issue has cropped up too. I see an error any time I change ATV2LO settings in the dashboard
I got this one the first time:
Capture2.PNG
Then I get this one every time after:
Capture3.PNG
Hey Andrew - something to smile about: found the cause; seems to be very old. A value is used for timeout between 0 and 2^32 that's never been initialized. Meens, it takes random values between 0 and 4'294'967'295. If we'd say stopping a service takes (bad case) 10 seconds, the probability of occurrence of this error is 0.00024% (probability that value is <10'000). Such things are cool. .
I guess, you did no restart of PC or Service between the re-occurring error-msgs. On the other hand, means - that in a bad-case scenario (service doesn't answer), you would never be informed of this - it probably doesn't run into timeout and will thus be ended (after time-out) but not restarted.
Just wanted to share... am still on it - especially the stopping of service. I guess you saw this before you tried through console to restart it?

PaulAEvans

Post by PaulAEvans » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:43 pm

So Chris came back from weekend away and found server had hung. No clues in event viewer. On reboot I could not start ATV2LO, it kept starting and stopped immediately.

Since then I uninstalled and re installed 3.0.0.8 and it went well and is still working OK.

Are you still looking for feedback for 3.0.0.9. I presume that event based version removes the need to poll every minute or so and only updates when an entry is changed in Argus.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Server: Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD3R Intel i7 Corsair 6GB;Os on Sandisk 128GB SSD; TBS 6984 QuadDVB-S2, Nova-DT Dual DVB-T, Win7 SP1, Argus 2.3, SQLExp 2012
Clients: 3x XBMC RaspPi;1x ASUS A8N-VM CSM AMD 4200+ 2GB RAM, Win7 SP1 MP1.6/XBMC,Argus 2.3