Developers inside - new Category for Development settles

tripkip

Re: Developers inside - new Category for Development settles

Post by tripkip » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi Chris,

I think the problem is that the recorder code is closed to begin with. Code cannot even be read so people looking for a per backend that they want to improve on will walk away. Put it on github and PR's will start flowing in guaranteed.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:02 pm

tripkip wrote:I think the problem is that the recorder code is closed to begin with. Code cannot even be read so people looking for a per backend that they want to improve on will walk away. Put it on github and PR's will start flowing in guaranteed.
Hey tripkip
First of all: I'm not the owner of the code and I don't have the sources of the recorder.
I had some thoughts about what you say and please allow me to contradict.
- Nearly all of the bug reports and
- Nearly all of the improvement suggestions are concerning scheduler
- the scheduler and its interfaces are the ones to be addressed from third-party software, never the recorder

And in general, I think we should not think the way, "one has first to fulfill preconditions in order that I'm able to do sth.". Such an argument usually is an easy excuse not to do sth., and even not to start.
I think the opposite way:
- I CAN adopt and develop on the scheduler, the notifier and other components
- I just DON'T DO it right now... :)

That's the reason, why I was looking for developers and "movers" to do the first steps... describe, what is needed, how a dev. environment must be set up, how the first build can be done seccessfully and..
... to gather the team. As I know, with my professional life, I will fail to try alone.

No blaming, trip, but just my way of thinking... the "ten-two-letter-words": if it is to be, it is up to me.
I had just the request of two to three persons now to be promoted to the state of developers - but no more request since then nor questions. So I must see my approach as failed.

Just my two Pennies, after I thought some days about what you said.

Kind greetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

bberger

Post by bberger » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:44 pm

I'd also be happy to help out (.NET dev), but my main concern would be regarding ArgusTV+Kodi as this has been my setup for a few years now and I think there is still some potential left behind..
"You only get what you settle for" (Coach "Hawaii" NFL Europe Summer Camp 2012 in Vienna)

Malyngo

Post by Malyngo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:37 pm

I would be willing to help out, but I can't promise I will have much time.

I think with 3-4 developers, you have a good base, and the rest can be taken care of by getting stuff on Github, creating issues and then maybe using something like yourfirstpr.

michael123

Post by michael123 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:23 am

Hi together,

as I am also using ArgusTV on my home backend, I discovered same small things I would like to change or improve. I already tried to lookup for sources to do these changes, but struggled (only found that: https://github.com/ARGUS-TV/ARGUS-TV). Maybe someone can help me out where I can find the sources of the Webaccess part?

Being already confident with open source projects and working as developer for almost 10 years, I would support the idea of putting everything to github and merging PR into the code.

I would also offer my help for coding, but as I am more expierenced with Java, I would like to review the code before I really offer something :)

DeltaAlpha52

Post by DeltaAlpha52 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi

I've just found Argus TV after Windows 10 dropped Media Center. What is the status with developers etc.?

I have just retired from many years working with computers in the financial sector but have some experience with developing and bug finding in software on windows systems.

Was looking to see if there were openings to get involved with various projects and maybe this could be one of them.

Kind Regards
David

godefroi

Post by godefroi » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:16 pm

This has essentially gone nowhere, as far as I can tell.

mrmerlino

Post by mrmerlino » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:45 am

:cry: :cry:

DeltaAlpha52

Post by DeltaAlpha52 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:29 am

That's a shame as I have been using Argus TV for a while now and it seems to do most of what I want. A few errors have arisen but I was sure with the source code I could help iron them out.

:( :(