Windows 10 & Argus TV Notifier

General talk about ARGUS TV
wayloncovil

Windows 10 & Argus TV Notifier

Post by wayloncovil » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:34 am

Hi, everyone.
I took the plunge today and upgraded my PC to Windows 10.
The Argus TV Recording service wasn't starting so I needed to change that to Automatic Delayed Start. I haven't rebooted yet to see if that solves the problem but I'm guessing it will.

My computer was sluggish so I checked my Task Manager.
Argus TV Notifier was hogging my CPU processes. It looked like it was talking to both the scheduler and recorder service and my CPU was going up to about 90%. I killed the task and my CPU settled right down.
I started the scheduler and recorder application and then started the ArgusTV.UI.Notifier and it didn't hog my CPU afterwards.
Not sure exactly what's going on but it was doing something.
Just thought I'd mention it.

wayloncovil

Re: Windows 10 & Argus TV Notifier

Post by wayloncovil » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:57 pm

Update to this.
My test recording that I ran at 1:30 AM didn't record. I looked at the logs and the computer didn't wake up. I looked at task scheduler and I didn't see any scheduled tasks for Argus.

I then setup a recording for later today and closed Argus.
I then checked task scheduler again and noticed that I didn't see any task to wake up the computer before the computer is scheduled to record.
Any thoughts why Argus didn't create my scheduled task?
Thanks!

wayloncovil

Post by wayloncovil » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:57 am

My recording didn't happen because my computer didn't wake up.
I noticed that there wasn't any scheduled task for the program I set Argus to record at 1:00 PM.
But, the log shows the following:
2016-01-24 10:12:18.4462 [Info ][Recordings Scheduler]: Setting new wake-up time: 1/24/2016 12:56:00 PM.
So it attempted to schedule the task.
It appears that something is preventing the application from scheduling a task.
Did scheduled tasks' permissions change with windows 10?
Thanks!

Caesium

Post by Caesium » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:07 am

wayloncovil wrote:My recording didn't happen because my computer didn't wake up.
I noticed that there wasn't any scheduled task for the program I set Argus to record at 1:00 PM.
But, the log shows the following:
2016-01-24 10:12:18.4462 [Info ][Recordings Scheduler]: Setting new wake-up time: 1/24/2016 12:56:00 PM.
So it attempted to schedule the task.
It appears that something is preventing the application from scheduling a task.
Did scheduled tasks' permissions change with windows 10?
Thanks!
As far as I'm aware, it's not a scheduled task in Windows per-se, but a BIOS wake-up time. You could try checking your BIOS wakeup settings to see if the time that Argus has set, is indeed in there.

wayloncovil

Post by wayloncovil » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:53 am

Caesium,
Humm... I could have sworn I've seen created scheduled tasks to wake the computer for a recording.
When I think of setting the Bios to wake up the computer, I think about logging into the bios when the computer boots. Are you saying there's a way for Windows to communicate with the Bios to adjust wakeup settings?
Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
Thanks!

Caesium

Post by Caesium » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:16 am

wayloncovil wrote:Caesium,
Humm... I could have sworn I've seen created scheduled tasks to wake the computer for a recording.
When I think of setting the Bios to wake up the computer, I think about logging into the bios when the computer boots. Are you saying there's a way for Windows to communicate with the Bios to adjust wakeup settings?
Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
Thanks!
Yes, I'm pretty sure the BIOS wakeup time is set from Windows by Argus - "Power on by RTC Alarm" its usually called. I may well be wrong but I don't think an entry appears in Task Scheduler for this (I've just checked mine and I can't see one for the next scheduled recording).

I don't know how it does it or how to troubleshoot it though, as we don't have the Scheduler code :(

wayloncovil

Post by wayloncovil » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Wanted to provide you an update.
In addition to my computer not waking up to make recordings, it appears that it isn't waking up for other things.
For example, I have a scheduled task to wake up the computer to update my Argus EPG at 4:00 AM.
That isn't happening.
I believe my computer previously woke up to perform some maintenance at around 2:00 AM.
The system logs are showing that the computer isn't waking up.
So, if you have any thoughts about how Windows 10 broke my "wake up" capabilities, I would be very grateful.
Thanks!

simonsays

Post by simonsays » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Did you try powercfg /waketimers ?

I have a Win10, upgraded from Win7. The Waketimer is still handled the same, as far as I can tell.

My Mainboard is built according to some engergy savings guidelines. I can set a Timer in the BIOS and it will wake up from off. But for the Windows timers to work, I had to turn the energy savings off. The difference in power consumption is a about 6W. But I have WOL and Wakeup on USB on as well, so I cant use the low energy profile anyway.

My System is set to go to Standby and not Hibernate oder Hybrid Standby/Hibernate.

I do not go manually to Standby. This can have ill effects. powercfg -requests and for workarounds powercfg -requestsoverride will help.

FrankPlorn

Windows 10 Argus TV Notifier

Post by FrankPlorn » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:58 pm

This has been around since windows 8, I have included the reg file with all my themes since then to remove the default colors
Code: